Dead chicken!

Predators and pests can go over, under and through openings as small as 1/2". The coop should be securely locked up to minimize risk of an attack at night, but without a secure run the birds are susceptible to anything that can go over or under a fence during daylight hours. It's all about risk management and what you're willing to accept as far as losses.
i’ll make sure to take it far and release again!
Catch and release is illegal in many areas. I don't know what the law is where you're at. If you're not willing to kill what you catch, don't catch it at all, as you're making it someone else's problem.

i definitely will!! thank you.
yeah i might! i’ll make sure to take it far and release again! thank you.
I'm gonna advise you to lock your birds down at night. Until you know what your dealing with on camera or you trap it, it will be back and your gonna lose more.

And you should look up your laws for catch and release.
Here in Michigan it is only legal to relocate on your own property or others property with permission.
So my property is Trap, Dispatch and Bury.
Exception is Raptors. Those are a felony charge if your caught trapping/catching/dispatching.

thank you? and we don’t always lock them up, but they go in by themselves and stay in there all night. i have a coop inside of a plastic shed like thing and they seem to love it in there. so i’m just very concerned and confused. this is my first year of having chickens as well so im trying to get better as i go.
You are risking predators easily wiping out your entire flock while you're asleep by not locking them in a predator-proof area at night. Raccoons can open latches and doors with their hands and many predators can climb or dig under fences and trees etc.

thank you, my backyard has a big fence around it and we made sure before getting my chickens that there was no holes in it so i don’t believe it was a dog, it was just very weird because she was underneath or back porch, which is were they like to hangout.
Again, I’m so sorry. It’s difficult finding one like that. Good wishes being sent your way for the rest of your flock.

Please don't be discouraged. We've all been there, done that. You don't know what you don't know until things like this happen. Fortunately, here at BYC, those of us who have learned stuff the hard way are here to pass on our accumulated knowledge to folks like you who are just starting out. Hopefully you can fix the problem without losing any more birds. Wishing you the best!

Back
Top Bottom