Dead chicken!

mortmalt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Cheltenham
One of my 20 week old light sussex hens died today! I am new to rearing hens and feel awful, due to my lack of knowledge. I got her three weeks ago and she was always a little sheepish, timid and generally tired compared to the others. I would notice her constantly falling asleep on her feet. Not fussed about foraging for food. Then today I came home to find an extremely tired bird that would get up to leave the run. I tried temping her with scraps. But she would eat and has died. I don't know what gas happend. Can anyone help? My other hens are the same age and seem to be thriving. Fingers crossed.

Several things are possible. The other birds may have kept her a way from the food/water, and so she may have died from not eating or drinking enough.

She also might have had a disease, such as Coccidiosis. Being brought into a new area may have exposed her to a strain of Coccidiosis that she wasn't immune to yet. Sleepiness is one symptom of Coccidiosis. Other symptoms are ruffled feathers, blood in droppings, and paleness. Did she have any of those symptoms as well?

It might have been parasites, too. Worms can sap a chicken's energy, as can external parasites like lice and mites. Do you remember if she felt skinny? And were her feathers in good condition?

It might even be none of these reasons. It is possible that she always just had something internally wrong with her.

And some just fail to thrive.
hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss. It could have been a number of different things. I'd just keep an eye on the rest of them. If it was coccidiosis that is highly contagious and the entire flock would need to be treated.

Her feathers were always in good condition. I only handled her yesterday and I suppose she was thin, Didn't strike me as a problem though, certainly no lice or parasites etc. . I can say confidently she wasn't having problems accessing food as I have range of feeders and I scatter food.
No blood in her dropping although she has had wetter poos the the others.
I'm sure the other birds have no probs they seem fine, thriving really.
Since I first got her she was doing the falling asleep on her feet whilst free ranging. I wasn't sure if this was a problem though as I'm very new to rearing hens. My confidence has taken a knock now.

Back
Top Bottom