Dead Chicken

nicnac2112

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I have 6 chickens....ranging 2 1/2 - 3+ months old....one of the younger ones i just found dead in the run...all the other chickens seem lively...i was just out there about an hour earlier to give them a bit of chicken scratch and he was eating away like the others...i have not noticed anything different in the behavior so i am stumped to know what happened...we have been having a great deal of wet weather the last little while and since the pen is not attached to the coop we do keep feed out in it....i am wondering if may be he ate something that may be turning....we usually move the pen but have been so busy getting ready for the fall with wood cutting i dont think it got moved far enough....to be honest i think its half on the old area....we will get it attached to the coop this weekend and keep their feed inside.....the coop is a sand bottom so i know there is no problem with grit...any suggestions???? i'm still a newbie at all of this...thank you

Wet conditions can cause an increase in coccidiosis this time of year. The symptoms are being lethargic, sitting puffed up in a ball, poor appetite, and runny stools (and sometimes blood in stools.) Corid or amprollium would be the treatment( 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days .)You can get anecropsy done by your state vet to find a cause if you lose any more.

Back
Top Bottom