Dead chicken :(

joenange

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
Hi guys, new to forum thing.

I have two 6 month old isa Browns and yesterday when my son picked one up I noticed she threw up quite a lot for the first time, she then layed under the trailer for the arvo which I thought was strange cause usually she is wondering around the yard, this morning when I woke she was dead in her coop :( this is our first time it's chickens so any idea of the cause of death? Not visible signs of injury and from what I can see poos were normal. We do have the odd cane toad here so wondering if she may have pecked at it? Other chook is a bit distressed but seems healthy.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry for the loss of your chicken. Sudden death is difficult to understand and to diagnose without more history. The vomiting could have been from a sour crop but that's all I could guess about.

So sorry! One of my Barred Rock hens was dead in the coop several days ago. She looks like a deflated balloon. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone, very upsetting for the kiddies. Haven't heard of sour crop before so I will do some research.

Is there any other specific care needs I should be doing for the chooks? Obviously fresh food n water, shelter etc. Wasn't given much I formation when we first got them.

Back
Top Bottom