1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

dead chickens by small predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tabuja007, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Tabuja007

Tabuja007 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2012
    Dansville MI
    We came home from being out of town for 12 hrs overnight and 13 out of 14 of our chickens were brutally attacked and killed in their coop. Necks wrung and 3 headless, 2 are missing. I'm devastated!!!! Does anyone have an idea what it could have been? We live in Mid Michigan and they were in their coop with chicken wire over the top and 3"x4" chicken mesh around the sides. What ever did it left them there and took none!! That was the only thing that happened to them, no missing parts except 3 heads. Please help!!!

2. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    First off i am so sorry for your loss, it can be hard. Most likely it was racoons. They hunt at night and are ruthless. They will stick their paws in through the fence and kill them. If they can get in the coop(which isnt hard for them) they will often destroy every last one of them, often by pulling off their heads. Again very sorry.

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    So sorry for you loss!!

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    as ckose as you are to portage creek I would say mink or coon, weasel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by