Dead chickens with bloody butts

cactuswilly

Hatching
12 Years
May 5, 2007
My sons friend has a couple of dead hens. He says the butts were bloody. Also says he has another one that looks like she's trying to lay but can't. This is all in a couple days. Any ideas? thanks

Sounds like the dead ones prolapsed and the other is eggbound. What is he feeding them and how long were the dead ones prolapsed?

For the one alive still, have him put her in a warm water bath and hold her there. It will relax her muscles and may help her pass the egg.
You can also smear some KY jelly or mineral oil on her vent.

Good Luck!

something wrong with the diet.
find out what ALL he is feeding them..and how much.

what is their situation..are they cooped all the time?
do they have a pen, or free range?

agree with terrielacy.
laying problems and possible prolapses.

could be that the nest boxes are too small...and the hens have to turn around exposing the vent during laying.
possible that they are not being fed properly, or under some sort of stress, and are pecking the vents during laying..to get to the egg.
once pecking draws blood...it's all over.

is he finding any eggs?

all of this is management issues.

Well, I just noticed one of my girls has a bloody butt and an egg yesterday had some blood on it. We have separated her from the others. I just don't know what to do at this point... I have read people using Prep-H and warm water, or mineral oil and warm water. Over the winter I was feeding them Layer/Broiler feed with plenty of water. We just got rid of the rooster, because we was way to aggressive towards us and the girls. They are cooped at night and free range during the day, they get food anytime they want and all the water they can drink. HELP!

Purchased from tractor supply and they are a straight run...

You'd have to find out which hatchery they obtain chicks from, then don't buy chicks from that hatchery if stock is poor quality. Always best to cut out the middleman, or at least know the middleman's source, and is keeping chicks properly until you bring them home. Again, what breed are they? Some high production hybrids I've had where a genetic disaster where internal laying was a problem once matured. Also, improper nutrition can cause egg binding and other problems. Put them on a layer ration only, and supplement water 3 days a week with vitamin-probiotic powder. Sammi made some good points in post #3. I also recommend helping chicks build immunity to Coccidiosis from 3 weeks until at least 7 months of age. Medicated feed is not as effective as controlled amounts of Corid used in drinkers.

Last edited:
I did what people where saying to do and she is fine, she's in the house resting and watching the chicks that we hatched this past week.

Back
Top Bottom