dead chickies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lynxmomma, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Lynxmomma

Lynxmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    well some sad news today I had two chickies die they just stopped eating for some reason. Not sure why???? now the third one is making the same noise as the first two. Some weird clicking. Didnt sound like weird chirrping like they were having a hard time breathing.. I hope no more die i cant take it anymore

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh, that's rough. Sorry to hear that you lost them.

"Clicking" sounds to me like a respiratory infection. I'd be getting an antibiotic to put in the water. I don't like medicating without reason, but it sounds like you have an active, contagious disease running through your chicks. I hope you can stop it before you lose any more!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  3. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Sorry for your loss!

4. Lynxmomma

Lynxmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    yeah that happened to me before and only one chick got it but the others didnt [​IMG]

5. Jstall

Jstall Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Gary, Texas
    With just the information you give above I would say your chicks have Air Sac. Sanitation and ventilation are very important. They usually do not make it when they get Air Sac. BunnyLady was right it is a respiratory infection. You can medicate for it but usually the outcome is not worth the money to treat. Keep your chicks at the proper temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by