Dead chicks

blujean

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 12, 2017
Cedar Creek, Texas
I had 2 chickens sitting in the same nest. The second one seemed to come and go at first but the last 3 weeks just started sitting. Yesterday was day 21 for the first chicken. I went to the coop 3 times in the morning. The third time both chickens had left the nest, but no babies. In the nest was some broken eggs a dead unborn chick, 10 eggs and a terrible stink. I removed eggs, nest and container, gently cleaned the eggs and put them in the incubator I threw away the rest of the stuff cleaned the container and put fresh hay in it. This morning it seems one of the eggs exploded and there was a dead unborn chick inside. will any of the other eggs hatch or are all the babies dead? I am not sure how to proceed from here.

What a mess. It's best to never let 2 broodies sit together as the eggs often don't get proper care. Have you candled the eggs? Something I would carefully do to try to weed out any other bad ones, and to see if you see any moving. How many more days?

thank you I have decided to get rid of the rest of the eggs and clean out the hatchery and start over again. I am so new to this , I appreciate comments from people like you, Thanks again
Start reading in the learning center here on BYC before you start again.

thank you I have decided to get rid of the rest of the eggs and clean out the hatchery and start over again. I am so new to this , I appreciate comments from people like you, Thanks again
Sounds like a good idea, you are a brave person to put up with that smell, it's something you never forget.

I had 2 chickens sitting in the same nest. The second one seemed to come and go at first but the last 3 weeks just started sitting. Yesterday was day 21 for the first chicken. I went to the coop 3 times in the morning. The third time both chickens had left the nest, but no babies. In the nest was some broken eggs a dead unborn chick, 10 eggs and a terrible stink. I removed eggs, nest and container, gently cleaned the eggs and put them in the incubator I threw away the rest of the stuff cleaned the container and put fresh hay in it. This morning it seems one of the eggs exploded and there was a dead unborn chick inside. will any of the other eggs hatch or are all the babies dead? I am not sure how to proceed from here.

Being a mother is not as natural as you might hope for some chickens. They are not supposed to be swapping in and out like that. There is no control over when each egg was laid or if more were added later. I think the likely case is that the eggs are at various stages of incubation. The ones that were dead, the exploded one with the embryo was apparently rotten all along. You should (IMO) get rid of all those eggs and don't let them do that again unless you have better control over the situation. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom