Dead duck egg day 25?

Horsern

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2023
Hi All, this is our first batch of duck eggs to incubate. We are on day 25 and there is one egg I am certain stopped development but I want to make extra sure before I move it along. I wanted to move it out before lockdown. The others are all fully dark on the duckling end and some movement in some and this one still has some liquid at the solid end. It does have a decent air cell at the other end but I was thrown off by this “liquid” end looking like maybe it still had veining. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 7D3C2B11-E7BF-4FF7-88FD-4DFA50E821F0.jpeg
    7D3C2B11-E7BF-4FF7-88FD-4DFA50E821F0.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 24
When you're candling the egg, do you see any movement? Is the mass inside of the egg a blurry, yellow, brownish color? Are there any "bruises"/dark areas on the outside of the egg? It's not certain to see if the egg is viable, but the coloration doesn't look right.

When you're candling the egg, do you see any movement? Is the mass inside of the egg a blurry, yellow, brownish color? Are there any "bruises"/dark areas on the outside of the egg? It's not certain to see if the egg is viable, but the coloration doesn't look right.
I will recheck tonight when it’s darker to evaluate better. There are no bruises on the outside of the egg and I didn’t see any movement. I just don’t want it to explode while I’m in lockdown if it’s that kind of issue. But of course don’t want to kick it out if it’s alive still. The others are totally full on the baby side so it’s def dif then them.

I will recheck tonight when it’s darker to evaluate better. There are no bruises on the outside of the egg and I didn’t see any movement. I just don’t want it to explode while I’m in lockdown if it’s that kind of issue. But of course don’t want to kick it out if it’s alive still. The others are totally full on the baby side so it’s def dif then them.
I candled again tonight. I don’t see any movement from the duckling like the other eggs. There are still veins present but in the more yellow area right above the air cell it is liquidy. Like when you slightly twist the egg back and forth over the light you can see liquid moving about in there. I am thinking it has expired. If that’s the case, I don’t want it to explode in there during lockdown. Any thoughts with that info and these pics? The two pics without air cell are the other end of the egg, not just a dif angle.

Attachments

• E883AFC0-0D94-4BE2-BB70-030293EE8ABA.jpeg
    E883AFC0-0D94-4BE2-BB70-030293EE8ABA.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 8B8757CB-708A-4AAD-B43E-5C658A3E058C.jpeg
    8B8757CB-708A-4AAD-B43E-5C658A3E058C.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 27F30B81-8334-43D3-A907-AE12BFBDAB25.jpeg
    27F30B81-8334-43D3-A907-AE12BFBDAB25.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 7
I bit the bullet and made a choice. I took the egg out. I did open it to be sure (although it would be awful if I was wrong! But figured it was important I know for future eggs-and I was 99% sure it was gone). It was, in fact, a dead duckling with brown fluid around it. I thought I would update here in case anyone else had a similar experience and needed some reference. The other 5 have lots of movement at last candle yesterday so I’m praying they all hatch well! It’s very exciting!

I bit the bullet and made a choice. I took the egg out. I did open it to be sure (although it would be awful if I was wrong! But figured it was important I know for future eggs-and I was 99% sure it was gone). It was, in fact, a dead duckling with brown fluid around it. I thought I would update here in case anyone else had a similar experience and needed some reference. The other 5 have lots of movement at last candle yesterday so I’m praying they all hatch well! It’s very exciting!
I hope the rest are healthy and make it!

Back
Top Bottom