dead ducks in michigan. ):

duckgirl_19

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
kalamazoo
well i woke up this morning all happy and then i look out the window and theres no movment from my trio . i go out there and i see toot one of my females dead i go inside cryining my mom goes out there and notices that there was a strugle and there was feathers and blood every where . what kind of animal would eat my babies my best friends the wonderful ducks that kept me occupied and the ones i cared for away from me.i am so depresed and i've bein cryin all morning because i loved them so. what animal would do this theres feathers all over i can only find one body and the animal ate the beak the neck the eyes and some of the insides.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
. i miss them so. they were going to turn 2 monthes this sunday. ughh whaaa

thanks duckgirl

I am so sorry to hear of your loss
hugs.gif
It must be completely devastating for you to loose all three in such terrible circumstances. I dont know too much about what predators you have in your area- But I hope you can find out- and take measures to increase the security of your pen in the event that you get some more ducks.

Im so sorry.
You asked what animal- Im not sure where you live in Michigan but here, outside of Detroit in the suburbs- we have raccoons, coyotes, opossums, and even stray cats and dogs- all of them would eat my ducks if given a chance.

I know you are hurting and it is awful to find your babies like that.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I would first think DOGS They often 'play' with there prey and leave a huge mess behind. There are two things that could have happened to the other two, they may have excaped and are in hiding (maybe injured) somewhere. Your first priority should be to search for them to find them if they are only injured. Of course the second possibility is that they are dead and have been taken away to feed a family elsewhere or stashed for future meals. Coyotes act much the same as dogs. Fox are known for snatching One bird without a trace and taking it elsewhere to eat. Coons aren't as neat as fox but they usually can handle only one bird at a time. Opossums at least here in NC tend to steal eggs and not take birds. They would take one bird at a time also. Hunting for hiding ducks is mostly a matter of using your ears. If you had a 'treat routein' use that and then listen carefully for a reply. Your odds for finding the missing 2 is about 50/50. I hope you are lucky and find the two missing and I am sorry for your confirmed loss.

one of my friends here in Kansas had the same thing happen and one morning they went outside and 2 coyotes had her favorite muscovy- the coyotes keep coming back even though everyone is penned up at night, they have been waiting for them in daylight to come out of the pen. She had to stop letting everyone out. Im So sorry for you losing your babies

I have a suggestion: if you get replacement ducklings, get a pair of goslings at the same time and brood them together. As they grow up together the ducklings will decide the geese are their parents and hang out with them, and the geese will help protect them from predators. It's just heartbreaking to lose ducks to a predator, but that does happen when they are allowed out, and even sometimes when they are kept penned.

So sorry about your ducks.
Not sure about where you are, but here we have terrible problems with raccoons. We've lost 4 ducks and 5 chickens since last summer. The ducks are very vulnerable as they really aren't very well equipped to fight back.
They really need to be in a sturdy shelter at night, with a raccoon proof lock to protect them. The first two we lost were out on the pond but still got killed. Coyotes are a possibilty too.
Generally coyotes hunt in packs and will take put a whole flock. Raccoons will take two in mmy experience - eat one and half eat another (these were full grown pekins) and come back the next night for the rest. They often leave the head and feet behind.

Anyway, I'm so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom