Dead full grown turkey?

BarneyChick97

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2011
Mt. Vernon, Washington
We HAD 3 bronze turkeys. We also have 4 ducks, and 6 chickens. This is the 2nd year we've had all of "that" living together. Never had a problem 'til now. My husband said that one was acting funny last night, and he had to carry it to the coop. They are full sized turkeys, about 7 months old. They've been laying eggs too, and have been overwhelming us with them (along with the ducks and chickens). Well, that turkey was dead this morning!! So what do you do?? You obviously can't EAT it?? That's what they were intended for. I'm really hoping that this was just another dumb turkey moment ---- a death by eating something that wasn't food??

Help??

MAYBE IT WAS SICK OR DID SOMETHING THAT CAUSED ITS DEATH BUT I OULDNT WORRY TO MUCH JUST PUT IT IN A GRAVE SO THE SOL WILL BE REALLY GOOD AND NEXT YEAR YOU CAN PLANT SOME VEGGIES SRY CAPS BROKE

I say a dead bird is alarm something is wrong. At 7 months I have lost a turkey like that and they had worms. That doesn't mean you are unclean just sometimes due to weather and different conditions you have to worm your birds or another cause is mite infestation. The mites can pass poultry ailments around and make them anemic. To sprinkle them with seven dust helps and I worm them with ivomec plus injectable usually because I can give it to specific bird. Then I would look at others closely and make sure don't have cold or something going around. I run ducks, turkeys, geese, chickens, and peacocks all together and don't have any unusual problems. They are free range though but nothing unusual.

Yes, I still have 2 turkeys. Everyone else fine. There were never any indications of 'colds'. We've wormed them I think only once. (we used Pig swig) We are starting to think that one got into some fertilizer? There is an opening to part of our garage that's basically an "open shed", and one of them kept getting in there and would lay an egg. It's not totally impossible. I mean, you move a bucket thats been in the yard into a new place, and they run over to it and try to peck the crap out of it like it's a new food? It's just very disappointing to see a full grown turkey (that could of well been Thanksgiving dinner-- at LEAST 30LBs or so after dressing) die like that. I'm living and learning I guess!
hu.gif

oh that sucks :(
Not a good feeling at all..

When all my turkeys dies after a raccoon attack.. My friends said, " When you have live stock, you have dead dead stock" I thought it was sort've cruel at the time.. But really, thinking back, I guess it's true :( Hugs to you, sucks very much..

I hope you figure out what happened so you can fix the prob.

Maybe it she/he was a weak one..

All the best

Yes, I still have 2 turkeys. Everyone else fine. There were never any indications of 'colds'. We've wormed them I think only once. (we used Pig swig) We are starting to think that one got into some fertilizer? There is an opening to part of our garage that's basically an "open shed", and one of them kept getting in there and would lay an egg. It's not totally impossible. I mean, you move a bucket thats been in the yard into a new place, and they run over to it and try to peck the crap out of it like it's a new food? It's just very disappointing to see a full grown turkey (that could of well been Thanksgiving dinner-- at LEAST 30LBs or so after dressing) die like that. I'm living and learning I guess!
hu.gif
Pig swig is the same as Wazine and doesn't get many types of worms, I use Safeguard for goats (fenbendazole) and give it as an oral drench to ensure proper dosing. My vet told me to give .5ccs per 1kg. Sorry for your loss.

It could have been a number of things. Since you have 2 healthy turkeys, it probably not blackhead or a virus. It could be poison, as turkeys are very curious birds. I lost a peacock when DH used flying insect spray on some flies and missed picking up one and the peacock ate it. Even a poisonous plant you did not know was on the property. A snake or spider bite? So many things, you might never know for sure, but maybe it's time for a lock on all chemicals and a spray with a 10% bleach solution.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom