Dead full grown turkey?

Might be kind of a late dumb question to ask, but a 10% bleach solution? To disinfect the coop? Do you all always clean your houses/coops with something like that? We rake/and change the beddings often as best we can. I've never sprayed anything--maybe more because of the ducks---you know, they can't resist anything "water like". I've heard a little about the blackhead thing, but since I've had turkey's for 2 years, with chickens, on the same property, someone had told me that it's probably not in our area. (my neighbor across the road has turkeys/chickens together as well) I live in Western Washington. My husband carved her all up so he could look inside---we didn't see any bite marks on her----she looked fine on the outside. We thought that maybe part of the intestines didn't look right. (husband said that it seemed like it was trying to poop, but was having a hard time when he put them away the night before, but never thought anything of it) Not very pink, more dark brown---that can't be good?

Might be kind of a late dumb question to ask, but a 10% bleach solution? To disinfect the coop? Do you all always clean your houses/coops with something like that? We rake/and change the beddings often as best we can. I've never sprayed anything--maybe more because of the ducks---you know, they can't resist anything "water like". I've heard a little about the blackhead thing, but since I've had turkey's for 2 years, with chickens, on the same property, someone had told me that it's probably not in our area. (my neighbor across the road has turkeys/chickens together as well) I live in Western Washington. My husband carved her all up so he could look inside---we didn't see any bite marks on her----she looked fine on the outside. We thought that maybe part of the intestines didn't look right. (husband said that it seemed like it was trying to poop, but was having a hard time when he put them away the night before, but never thought anything of it) Not very pink, more dark brown---that can't be good?
Did you happen to notice what part of the intestines were brown?

Bleach is a cheap, effective, widely used disinfectant to destroy germs and disease. I use a 10% bleach solution in a yard sprayer that is specifically for this use. (never used it for anything else.) and spray the coop down and let it dry naturally. this is what hospitals, day care facilities, restaurants and vet clinics use for general cleaning purposes. The birds have to be put somewhere else until the coop dries, and ducks should never be allowed near any standing bleach water, because you know how ducks are around water. Is there any way your turkey could have drank water with mold or algae in it. Turkeys are more sensitive than ducks or chickens. After disinfecting the waterer, you can use a teaspoon full of vinegar in their drinking water to prevent algae from forming. Apple cider vinegar would also help their digestive systems. This may seam old-timey, but it has stood the test of time, and I am old and don't use chemicals, so it is things like backing soda and vinegar to unclog drains and such and bleach or vinegar or soap for cleaning. I am not saying other solutions would not work, but they will probably cost more and this is what works for me !
old.gif

Its hard to say what it looked like now. It definitely wasn't pink/red. It was like a brown? Maybe a little like it??? There were no obvious obstructions that we saw. My husband squeezed everything out. It seemed like the part that wasn't as red/pink didn't have much in it.... like it was dry. He said that it was either trying to poop, or lay an egg when he put it away. He assumed it was "egg laying" since they've done that at night in their coop. So that's why he didn't think much of it. Yeah, it's quite possible that they could of drank some gross water. They have their own bucket of water in their coop, but you can't leave a clean container of water lying around without a duck messing it up. I didn't think of putting vinegar in their waterers, I will definitely try it. Right now it's raining a lot here (PNW), so they are drinking out of puddles and buckets--you name it. They have a water source, but they always seem to try "other" places. How much vinegar would you use? The chickens have a 5 gallon waterer, the turkey's have their own 1 gallon bucket, and the ducks have a few containers---that usually get changed every other day--because they are so disgusting.
Thank you for all the tips.

Back
Top Bottom