Dead Goose, can you help identify predator?

Quote:
I`m with Brad on this one. The cat in the pic took an 8 lb Brazilian Gamecock from me. I didn`t know what got him. Two nights later he took all he could get of the hen that was in with the cock. Pulled a good bit of her through the 2X4 wire. I used the remains to bait my trap, which is a big trap and has a seperate bait compartment. A bobcat can carry a goose quite a distance and eat a good bit of her.......Pop

IMGP0478.jpg

IMGP0476.jpg

Quote:
A possum would be hard pressed to kill a full grown healthy goose and there is no way it could drag it off and eat the entire bird except for the wings.

Personally I think a possum would be in for the butt kicking of its life if it were to attack a full grown goose. Geese in general will attack instead of run from a smaller predator, especially if on a nest.

Quote:
I`m with Brad on this one. The cat in the pic took an 8 lb Brazilian Gamecock from me. I didn`t know what got him. Two nights later he took all he could get of the hen that was in with the cock. Pulled a good bit of her through the 2X4 wire. I used the remains to bait my trap, which is a big trap and has a seperate bait compartment. A bobcat can carry a goose quite a distance and eat a good bit of her.......Pop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Spansil/IMGP0478.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Spansil/IMGP0476.jpg

Wow, awesome pics!!! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks everyone. To answer your questions, yes we have a pond, a quite large one. The goose was setting the nest right next to it. I am leaning towards a bobcat. I knew that there are coyotes in Florida but was not aware they are in our area. It is possible though. The trap was empty again this morning (drat!) but we will continue to set it each night until we get what ever it is. I appreciate your suggestions about baiting with the remains but this was a pet and hubby would never do that. Fred is now in the pet cemetary in the corner of the property. I have been baiting with chicken backs. Any other suggestions?

I fully intend to shoot whatever it is right in the trap, no problem. Hubby will wake up to gunshots that morning. I swear it's like a fantasy of mine now. I'm that ticked. He would never do it but farm girl here has no problem with it. In the old days we used to shoot predators and hang them on the fence as a warning to others. Wish me luck!!

Quote:
If you are sure it is a bobcat beaver meat and castor is hard for a bobcat to resist this bobcat gland lure and urine is what I used to catch the few I caught last year ( 3 I really don't go out of my way to trap them a customer asked me to) you won't believe it but catnip plants will attract some of them .

Back
Top Bottom