dead goose upon return home today

romantufted

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2015
HI I went to town for the day... when I got home 1 of my 2 gooses were dead. His head was thru the wire mesh. No sign of a predator I guess I am just wondering why. He was about 7 weeks old. The other goose was very upset. No sign of a predator (visually) any ideas?

HI I went to town for the day... when I got home 1 of my 2 gooses were dead. His head was thru the wire mesh. No sign of a predator I guess I am just wondering why. He was about 7 weeks old. The other goose was very upset. No sign of a predator (visually) any ideas?
Without more particulars I would guess that he got his head through the mesh, could not cleanly get it out and panic took over and he either broke his neck or strangled himself. There is not anything you could have done probably even if you were there. Trying to free him might have worked and it might have caused even more panic and the same thing would have happened. So long as there is no indication that a predator was involved you can only mourn him and move forward.

I am very sorry for your loss. Your female will be predictably upset for some time and may need a lot of attention from you to get her through this. Also, you may want to get another goose as a companion to her since geese don't really do well alone. Another female would be fine unless you are intending to breed.

I know it is easy to say but don't blame yourself. You were not there. We can not be with our birds 24/7. This could have happened during the night while you slept or while you were there and not aware of the problem.

Thanks. Everytime I left the other gooses sight she started crying. I'm taking preventive future measure reinforcing the wiring with smaller mesh as an outer layer. With his lose I think it may save another goose. I always say him poke his head thru but quickly and always easier withdrew it so I dismissed the size being a problem. I suspected this cause but thought some illness might have played a factor.

Without more particulars I would guess that he got his head through the mesh, could not cleanly get it out and panic took over and he either broke his neck or strangled himself. There is not anything you could have done probably even if you were there. Trying to free him might have worked and it might have caused even more panic and the same thing would have happened. So long as there is no indication that a predator was involved you can only mourn him and move forward.

I am very sorry for your loss. Your female will be predictably upset for some time and may need a lot of attention from you to get her through this. Also, you may want to get another goose as a companion to her since geese don't really do well alone. Another female would be fine unless you are intending to breed.

I know it is easy to say but don't blame yourself. You were not there. We can not be with our birds 24/7. This could have happened during the night while you slept or while you were there and not aware of the problem.

Last edited:
so sorry for your unexpected loss. Life is hard but, I guess we need to be taught lessons even though they can be very painful. You are using smaller mesh around the fence, that is a great idea. No one can be expected to thing of everything.

I'm so so sorry. Can you get another goose quickly? ): The sooner the better, or spend as much time with your girl as possible, she needs you and you need her right now

I got her an older male chinear goose and rebuilt their enclosure with thinner square wire and a wood frame.

Ya around the corner in the pic... is a barn converted to there needs automatic water feeder... solar light... 5 days goose pellet feeder... it's also got a trap door I lock every night.. as far as digging goes I will be saturating the 2x4s with a layer of dirt 2 inches above the stud threshold. Now maybe you can see why I was so shocked .. know and have owned all my life ... why a 2" Sq fencing confused me so much raised half a dozen geese with this mesh never had the problem. Just wanted to make others aware more or less it can happen. (Small squares although error higher metal density (more $$) make a huge difference if your goslings are hand raised. Beware they will want to be with you and even kill themselves on higher spacing.. if you want close geese I recommend smallest spacing available.. the new fencing looks a out 1/4 and have already seen how many necks rubs of the fence have been prevented.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom