Dead hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fowlman33, Feb 10, 2012.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Killed 3 out of 34 hens.....ate heads off.

What is it ??

2. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    Sounds like a mink.

I've seen them eat fish on the river bank and they always start with the head and finish with tail.

Do you have a stream of water near by?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    I have water, but I am in South Carolina....NO minks here.

I was thinking Raccoon ?? maybe ?

4. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    weasel, possum or maybe a coon...... set the traps, load the guns, re enforce the coop........ it's a war, and the will soon be back!!!!!!!!

5. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee

I don't know what part of the state you are in but this article is several years old and it says that the state is restocking them.

http://www.scwildlife.com/pubs/novdec2009/mink.html

I didn't know we had them here at my home till I shot one trying to get in my neighbors quail pen one afternoon.

Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean you don't have them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Raccoons and opossums are the terror here in Oklahoma, and I've heard that story so many times, it's a raccoon. They bite heads off mostly, but once in a while they actually drag one off to eat it. You're lucky it was only 3, one man told me a raccoon got in his coop and got almost half his orphington flock in one night. Setting traps and shooting the 'coon is a good idea for this one, bc he will be back, but your best defense against future attacks (kill one, another will just move in to take his place) will be to better secure your coop. Raccoons are clever (and cute if I do say so myself!) and they can figure out most simple door locks in a few hours or nights. So sorry, good luck!

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for the loss! Keep those traps set 24/7.Hopefully you can secure the coop.Definitely lucky more were not killed.

The little ones are super cute. I even like possums. Won't hesistate to get rid of them though. I like my chickens more.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by