Dead Legged Duck

CrunchTimePoultry

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
One of my duck's (10 weeks) legs is totally dead, she cannot move it and does not feel it. The other leg is fine. She can still swim with one leg, the other just dangles. I've already been to the vet a couple times and the prognosis is not great, x-rays showed no issue and the vet is under the impression it may be some type of genetic disorder. We are giving an anti-inflammatory and antibiotics just in case but they do not appear to be helping. I've been giving extra vitamins and even more niacin.

I'm not assuming there are any miracles here, just wondering if anyone has any ideas since we will try anything.

How did this start? Suddenly? over a few days? from hatching?

I have no experience of anything like it, but I have seen little moving cradles with a sling that folks have made for ducks with mobility impairment. The duck sits on the sling with or without the legs dangling down -- depending on the design.

I am uncertain if it is related to her becoming smaller than her sisters (3 total), but I noticed that probably three weeks ago. When they were small, she was the middle in size (and #1 and her were almost indistinguishable, #3 was noticeably smaller but has caught up), so it was a little strange. One morning about two weeks ago she seemed reluctant to get up and come outside with everyone, and it has gotten worse (with things seemingly back to normal early on) from there her limp got worse. When I put her into the pool at one point I was able to observe her left leg just dangling, I don't think it was the case when she first became reluctant to walk or even in the beginning of her limp's development.

I have no experience of this.

If there was no injury, I wonder if she has a tumor pressing on her sciatic nerve on that side? Wild guess work.

I hope you are able to help the duckling lead a happy if limited life

Can I ask what you are feeding and if you are giving nutrition yeast with the feed
Leg troubles in ducks can be lack of niacin
If the duck was walking fine then one day stops and no injury can be found it could be a niacin issue
If you haven’t been giving nutrition yeast then I would start
1 tbsp to 1 cup feed as well as 1mil vitamin B complex daily orally ( very carefully ) or on a treat for a few weeks.

I think I understand that the leg is dangling straight down and not drawn up, correct? We have a duckling with slipped tendons, and we pursued surgery. We're still in the recovery stage. We did make a wheelchair from pvc pipe. I can post a picture if you like.

Thanks all, she had been getting more than adequate Niacin, between specialized feed, brewer's yeast, and extra supplementation (provided there was not a genetic inability to properly process it). The leg was warm and showing blood flow. Unfortunately after a couple good days of increased energy and a better attitude, which allowed us to become more optimistic about her prognosis, we found Quackelyn dead this morning.

I appreciate everyone's advice here, sadly we didn't have enough time to try some of this advice out.

Thanks all, she had been getting more than adequate Niacin, between specialized feed, brewer's yeast, and extra supplementation (provided there was not a genetic inability to properly process it). The leg was warm and showing blood flow. Unfortunately after a couple good days of increased energy and a better attitude, which allowed us to become more optimistic about her prognosis, we found Quackelyn dead this morning.

I appreciate everyone's advice here, sadly we didn't have enough time to try some of this advice out.
So sad for you and Quackelyn. She was lucky she had you to give her tender love and care in her short life. Cyber hugs.

Back
Top Bottom