Dead. Lost. Devastated. *** FOUND RAVEN!!! Everyones home and.....!!!!

Oh sweetie - I can't bear it! I know the pain will haunt you for too long. Hopefully some of your missing will find their way home to bring a little bit of joy amid all this sorrow. Please keep us posted. I know there are many of us who have experienced similar horrors. Though I always get a little more protective every time I lose 'someone', I know it's also hard not to imagine watching them enjoying some freedom to roam and forage as well, and I always end up letting mine 'roam' as much as possible when I'm at home.

I understand your parents dilemma and yours. My husband grew up on a farm in Scotland and feels the same way about 'neighborhood' dogs as one of us would a coyote or wolf. When we first moved in next door to people with livestock, he told me to keep our dogs away from their fence and warned me that any lost livestock could be blamed on our dogs 'rightly or wrongly', and that he understood where they were coming from. Twenty five years ago, I had several chickens killed by my own lovable Golden Retrievers and was in disbelief. Our dogs, for the moment, have won the neighbors trust (and my own with my chickens and ducks), but I always fear that on any given 'full moon' evening they might reconnect with the spirit of their wild ancestors. Do your best to make your ducks safe from outside canines but also, as Iamcuriositycat suggested, try to make your neighbors aware of your concern about their dogs. Experience has taught me that some neighbors can be understanding and helpful and others just will never be.

if i was still in alabama, i'd be out with a flashlight searching for those duckies! probably past your curfew, lol. I tended to them for two days, so i feel somewhat like a baby sitter who can't find the kids at the mall.

What a horrible situation you had...We sorry for your lost - your lovely ducks...Only the time will help you to overcome this tragedy. You and your ducks are in our
fl.gif

Quote:
It was a Machete.

And Im just thankful that I have the sixteen ducklings that hatched last week - all are from eggs of the missing / deceased. The dad to all or at least most is the Runner and the moms are the cayuga and magpie. So it wont be so hard rebuilding my flock.

BTW - When i was watching the surviving eggs last night.. ONE ROCKED! So now im on the lookout since nothng has EVER hatched in my bator.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I just cant thank you all enough fof your support
hugs.gif

Im off to school today , and i didnt exactly want what happened to leak out since I really dont like it when people who DONTunderstand try and tell me they do. It just drives me mad for no good reason. SO i havent told anyone yet. But unfortunantly when my sister heard the news from my mom she had the phone on speaker so my"friend" Mandi heard about it and told a couple people. This is also the girl who stole my picture for the Art competition and won, and also the girl who backstabbed me and just pulled the trigger too many times on our friendship.

What I really need is a pray for self control. I have a bad temper. Thanks you guys!
hugs.gif

Welll...

I went out to check on everyone and saw that someone was out. It made me nervous so I got to the gate alittle quicker.

I let her in and heard a commotion behind me...

Instead of two buff crosses in the pen I now had three..

MOUSSE CAME HOME!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

But....

That means that the other dead buff I saw was my little mama... the heart of my flock.... The whole reason I hav what I do today...

That means my Spunky little Buff Boss ... Is gone.. Shes...... Gone.

hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

So on the one hand Im so thankful someone came home. She even made a B line and ran straight to her nest, eventhough the eggs are in my incubator. Ill have to check her later for injuries.

But.... My Road Runner. My Lil Mama.... shes gone. Thats the worst news yet. Now I really dont know what Ill do if Monty doesnt bring those two girls home to me. Without Monty... Myflock will have NO history. None. No survivors from the beggining.

She came home though!
wee.gif
wee.gif
I know you are still sad about lil mama, but that means that they survived. If mousse made it, maybe the others did too...and that means that they know which way to go to get home too when they stop being scared. I'm sure monty will be home soon! Have a good day at school! Im so happy she came home for you!
ya.gif

somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

Came home and there are DOG PRINTS all in the mud between the barn and pen AND In the mud RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE GATE!

somad.gif

I want a paintball gun.

A farm near us has electric fencing surrounding the fields that looks like a wide tape. They don't usually have the fence on. However, at the beginning of the growing season they put peanut butter at various distances and then turn up the juice really high. The idea is that the deer take a nibble once (or twice) and then decide to look elsewhere.

Could be irresistible to a dog.

Back
Top Bottom