Dead meat birds in my coop

Angelique123456

Chirping
Sep 8, 2020
Hello all I have some disturbing issues and news. I have about seven egg layer and three meat birds. There is a picture attached to this feed it may be disturbing to some people. I have a really bad issue with my hans and my meat birds which I’ve never had in the past. They have food they have water and they’re coop is clean no predators. But what I found this morning was very disturbing to me and I would like to know if anybody had issues with this chickens eating each other. I found two meat birds pecked to death and been eaten by the other chickens. I only have one meat bird left and all the hens there are no predators. I am planning on getting new meat birds and new egg layers at the end of this month so I’m thinking I may have to take in all my chickens and all my meat birds to get culled in before I get my new ones. I would like to know has anyone had this issue with the chickens and if it’s a name of chickens being cannibals. I have never had this issue before I’ve had chickens for the last five years.

Attachments

• 7D221B57-73B2-4C77-9835-EFFEA805666F.jpeg
    7D221B57-73B2-4C77-9835-EFFEA805666F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
The only birds I've had that ate other birds were Ringneck Pheasants.
Can we see your coop?

Last edited:
I do not know the age or size of your meat birds, but they do not live long. They are hybrids (usually) that mature very fast and are prone to heart issues at an early age if not harvested. My first meat bird about fifty years ago, died suddenly one day while the layers were not even grown. He was huge in comparison. I looked up information in books(pre internet days) and discovered that it is usually a mistake to keep meat birds longer than 12 to 14 weeks. Most are harvested very young! Leg and heart issues become more and more common every week past a 12 to 14 weeks. Some of the newer hybrids are slower growers and avoid some of these issues , taking several more weeks to mature. All chickens will eat other chickens down and dying or dead. Better to harvest them all at a set date or get heirloom dual purpose birds that do not have these issues of fast growth and sudden death or crippling leg issues. Best wishes for you and your flocks.

Hello all I have some disturbing issues and news. I have about seven egg layer and three meat birds. There is a picture attached to this feed it may be disturbing to some people. I have a really bad issue with my hans and my meat birds which I’ve never had in the past. They have food they have water and they’re coop is clean no predators. But what I found this morning was very disturbing to me and I would like to know if anybody had issues with this chickens eating each other. I found two meat birds pecked to death and been eaten by the other chickens. I only have one meat bird left and all the hens there are no predators. I am planning on getting new meat birds and new egg layers at the end of this month so I’m thinking I may have to take in all my chickens and all my meat birds to get culled in before I get my new ones. I would like to know has anyone had this issue with the chickens and if it’s a name of chickens being cannibals. I have never had this issue before I’ve had chickens for the last five years.
Hi guys My meat birds are about two months old or a little older and my chickens are a couple years old my hand layers here are the pictures from the coop

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Unless you have a LOT of birds, I would guess they were killed by a predator and the flock was just picking at the remains.
I agree. I would not expect 7 hens and 1 other meat bird to eat that much chicken in just one night.

I would definitely check for predators, and for any ways that predators can get in.

If you are really sure it was not predators, check how much you are feeding the chickens, and how much protein is in their food. If they ate that much chicken overnight, they must be desperate for protein and/or food. (But they look fine in the photo, so I do not think they are that short of food or protein.)

Back
Top Bottom