Dead Owl in the Chicken Run

xarimus

Hatching
Jun 22, 2022
I just recently started my flock and have 10 chickens ranging from 6 to 8 weeks old. Today I found a small ( just a little smaller than my 8 week old chicks) owl dead in the chicken run (pretty small fenced off area around the coop until they are a little older). My office is like 10 feet from the run and my door was open most of the day, so I think I would have heard a commotion if there was one, but it's a little weird none the less. Any ideas what might have happened? Should I be concerned?

I just recently started my flock and have 10 chickens ranging from 6 to 8 weeks old. Today I found a small ( just a little smaller than my 8 week old chicks) owl dead in the chicken run (pretty small fenced off area around the coop until they are a little older). My office is like 10 feet from the run and my door was open most of the day, so I think I would have heard a commotion if there was one, but it's a little weird none the less. Any ideas what might have happened? Should I be concerned?
Call your local Fish & Wildlife office first. It's against federal law to be in possession of birds of prey, even deceased ones, so you'll want to get the okay before doing anything with it.

I doubt your little chickens harmed the owl at their age. IMHO, it was probably a juvenile owl that met some injury or illness, and just happened to drop dead in your run. Or slammed too hard into the ground chasing a chick and broke its own neck. You should be concerned, yes - where there's one owl, there's more - and they could pick your birds off one by one. Put a netting over the run if you can. In any case, the others are right: Wrap the body in plastic, put it in your fridge asap, and contact your local wildlife or conservation dept. They may want to test it for bird flu, or at least document the species and location.

Back
Top Bottom