Dead pullet in coop

Jul 20, 2022
This morning when I opened the pop door, a dead 9-month old pullet was right next to the pop door. The other four birds were up on the roost, acting normally. There have been no changes in diet. This bird had never been ill as far as I was aware and has been laying eggs daily, including yesterday. I tried to examine her and did not see any blood or loose feathers, no sign of a struggle. One leg was protruding out but I thought that might be rigor mortis.

The only change is that I added a Sweeter Heater 2 days ago. However, it was not plugged in. Manufacturer says to off-gas it for 3 days, which I did, and the odor seemed to be gone by the time I put it up. This heater has a good reputation for fire safety, though some customers complained it took longer than 3 days to get the smell to go away. I took the heater down immediately, just in case. The other four birds are out foraging and look fine.

They've been eating layer food. Sometimes I scatter full flock feed (which has some more interesting seeds in it) on the ground to give them something to do in the winter when nothing is growing. They had one scattering of that yesterday morning and a little scratch in the coop before bed.

I have the dead pullet in a bag in the fridge and I guess I will send her off to a lab once I determine where the lab is. However, I'd really rather not do this, as there seems to be a movement to destroy peoples' flocks with little provocation and much hysteria about bird flu.

Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated, as I want to ensure the other four will be safe. I will post pics of the bird, the coop, and the heater once I figure out how to attach the pictures. Can anybody help me to post pictures that are in "Photo Booth"? I see an option above to insert images but can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts you have.

They've been eating layer food. Sometimes I scatter full flock feed (which has some more interesting seeds in it) on the ground to give them something to do in the winter when nothing is growing. They had one scattering of that yesterday morning and a little scratch in the coop before bed.

I have the dead pullet in a bag in the fridge and I guess I will send her off to a lab once I determine where the lab is. However, I'd really rather not do this, as there seems to be a movement to destroy peoples' flocks with little provocation and much hysteria about bird flu.
What was her breed?

Fatty liver is one of the causes of sudden death. Usually in birds genetically predisposed somehow (like Orpington) but often coupled with diet. (and seen lots in cold states where folks feed scratch to "keep warm").

Don't let fear mongering keep you from a proper necropsy.. knowing what happened can help determine IF there is anything YOU can or need to do regarding the husbandry and/or openness or closed-ness of your flock.

A list of state labs..
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Also the lab contact info in SD in case your user name is indicative of your actual location..

Animal Disease Research &Diagnostic Laboratory
Veterinary Services Department
South Dakota State University
P.O. Box 2175
Brookings, SD 57007 US
605-688-5171
fax: 601-688-6003

When you press that picture button.. it should bring the option to upload files. Another thing I do if needed.. is copy the image and paste skipping the tool bar all together.

Sorry for your loss! :hugs

Hope you get answers. :fl

Photo on 22-01-2023 at 7.32 AM.jpg
Photo on 22-01-2023 at 7.37 AM.jpgPhoto on 22-01-2023 at 7.40 AM.jpgPhoto on 22-01-2023 at 7.39 AM.jpgPhoto on 22-01-2023 at 7.40 AM #2.jpgPhoto on 22-01-2023 at 7.40 AM #3.jpg/Users/x/Desktop/Photo on 22-01-2023 at 7.37 AM.jpg

@EggSighted4Life Thanks so much--that's very helpful to know about the fatty liver causing sudden death. She was one of the four Cinnamon Queens. She was not overweight. Two birds are larger and she was about middle weight of the five. I might be guilty of overfeeding scratch. I've had neighbors complain about the birds going near their property. Have been putting up chicken fencing but have been ill myself and it's been very cold outside, so often would use the all flock and sometimes scratch to keep them closer to the house until I can get the fencing up. I will send her into the lab. Above are photos of the inside and outside of the coop. The coop is well ventilated and twice as large as it needs to be for the number of birds. The last pic is where I found her by the pop door.

I am sorry for your loss. I had a nine month BO pullet die of sudden chicken disorder. She was happy one second, started seizing the next and sadly passed in my arms a few moments later. I think the necropsy can give you peace of mind for remaining flockmates. Sometimes sadly they just die and there is nothing you can do.

I am sorry for your loss. I had a nine month BO pullet die of sudden chicken disorder. She was happy one second, started seizing the next and sadly passed in my arms a few moments later. I think the necropsy can give you peace of mind for remaining flockmates. Sometimes sadly they just die and there is nothing you can do.
Thank you. You're very kind. Im sorry for your loss, also. I've never heard of sudden chicken disorder. So much to learn. The responsibility if frightening.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Your coop is beautiful and clean and you are obviously a great caretaker. It is hard to wrap your head around it (I know it was for me) but every now and then you do everything right and it still does not matter. Here is a good article on sudden chicken death syndrome

https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/sudden-chicken-death.html

Back
Top Bottom