Dead rooster strange circumstance

The bully I had would stand in the pop door and not let the others go into the coop to eat so I put a feeder and waterer in their run. I put a second pop door on the side of the coop and then she couldn't guard both pop doors. She wasn't aggressive until I introduced the pullets. They had a smaller run at the time and I opened their gate so they could enjoy the large pen. Originally the pullets were in an adjacent coop so they were always next to each other but when I let them mingle "Blue" was on them. I had a hose next to the coop with a fire nozzle. When I would catch her beating up a pullet I would put the hose on her and did catch her by surprise but she never gave it up. Another bird "Violet" joined her but eventually Violet gave up, but not Blue so Blue went to an auction. This was many years ago.

My girl hasn't always been this way. She's always been the head hen but not a bully and never aggressive toward people. Once the new girls were introduced she started the bullying and then killed one of the hens. I moved them. But it wasn't until I introduced the rooster that she became kind of crazy. She stopped laying and started being aggressive period. Not overly aggressive toward us but she'd peck my hand when I changed the waterer, not even really mean. She'd peck me once when I picked it up or put it down. Thinking about it now I guess she was telling me she was not happy. But she never pecked at the kids so I just ignored it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about her if she keeps being aggressive AND won't lay I reckon she'll go to the freezer

That hen is pecking you to tell you she is your boss. I have read here a lot of people saying to peck her back with your finger. She is bossing you.

I got Red that's my bully's name from an auction. Isn't it a funny coincidence they we're both named a color. Penny is Red's buddy, they are both some sort of Rhode island cross. I may just leave the two of them on their own. They seem to be happiest with just each other. And red already seems a bit calmer now that there are no more outsiders. I think maybe they are
That hen is pecking you to tell you she is your boss. I have read here a lot of people saying to peck her back with your finger. She is bossing you.
Her pecks didn't go unchallenged I assure you. When I say I ignored it I mean I didn't get rid of her or put her in the freezer. I let her know with more than just a finger that I would not tolerate her behavior. It took a few times but she finally got the picture and stopped.

Back
Top Bottom