Dealing with a diagnosis

So sorry to read about your health issues. I would post the *thanks for your support* to the nasty,and then block that person from being able to post on your blog. They can/will still talk about you in other places,but just let people know you have no interest in hearing any negatives they are saying about you.

When people are being nasty it can have a negative effect on you,so it is better to just avoid them.If someone is getting in your face you get right back into theirs and tell them to GO AWAY.

Sadly, some people seem to think that if they haven't heard of an illness, it must not exist. No sense dwelling on their ignorance and narrow-mindedness. I agree with those who say to focus on your supportive friends and family.

smack.gif
to those others!

The worst part? The nasty is a retired nurse. They know after reading the material that this is serious, it is not curable, and that it really affects my life. There is just no sympathy. Thank God I was never in her ward - must have been like Nurse Ratched.
roll.png

Quote:
Oh I had nurses at the hospital that were nasty like that. They'd say "You have to eat as soon as you wake up! You're not TRYING"...It's kinda hard to eat if you wake up throwing up...Some people, just don't understand until they've been through it.
hugs.gif
Don't let them bother you. It's just ignorance.

Quote:
Speaking as a former nurse- you will rarely find a more unsympathetic group of people on the planet. Nurses have to be that way. We deal (in my case, dealt ) with exceptionally ill and/or dying people every day. You have to build up an emotional shell or you will burn out. That being said-

This nurse is best retired. She burned out and has become a nasty shell of a person (and sounds like she has developed a superiority complex, as well). She has lost the ability to feel the pain of others. How sad for her.

If someone thinks that pain exists in their body, then it does. Period. Who are we to say that someone is not in pain? ...Are we living their lives? Walking in their shoes?

No. So, who are we to say that someone is not suffering?

My advice- Tell this woman to get off her high horse, do some research on your condition, and stop being such a judgmental PITA. After that- take the best care of yourself that you can. You have a chronic condition that can be managed if you work at it. Learn all you can about it. And manage it. That's all you can do. Don't try to make ignorant people try to understand what's going on with you. Direct the energy towards making yourself better, instead.

Good luck.

Thank you, CMV. For those that want to understand, I don't mind explaining. You really do learn who is on your side when sugar hits the fan, don't you? I'm not new to the whole compartmentalizing thing that health care providers do to stay sane. We have a couple nurses, some home health care providers, and fire fighters in the family. The difference is that even though they may be tough on you, they do it because they love you. In the end they really do care.

We're going to ask for more intensive treatment this week after checking to make sure our insurance would cover it. I'd much rather go with IVIG than let it get worse. (or go with steroids - yuck)

hey lady,
sorry to hear you are struggling with such a frustrating physical problem. first things first, it's YOUR body and it's YOUR pain. people can say what they will but they do not live inside your body or your psyche.
i too have crappy in-laws. each situation is, of course, different, but the way i frequently chose to deal is just to kill 'em with kindness. if i get a nasty email i send something back like, "wow! thanks for that advice. you are such a sweet heart - please have a great day." and i leave it at that. do your best to keep such people out of your head.
hang in there!
chickenX

Back
Top Bottom