Dealing with aggressive goose

Years ago, my Mom had a gander that would sneak out from behind a tree and bite the back of our legs. After many complaints and bruises my Dad told me that the next time Mr Goose came near me to kick him a** over teacups. That worked, he never came near me again. A good boot up the butt works.

I have 4 geese - 3 ganders and a goose. One gander is the father - gentle loving soul BUT his 2 sons are just revolting. They are scared of me generally but attack everyone else, chase the dogs, my mini donkey and mini horse and then this morning I fund one of my chickens in a very bad way - bleeding badly after being attacked by the pack. I am not capable of culling or eating them personally but don't know where to now turn. A coyote got the mother when the goslings where about 2 months old and injured the father very badly but the vet operated and he is calm and cool.

I have 4 geese - 3 ganders and a goose. One gander is the father - gentle loving soul BUT his 2 sons are just revolting. They are scared of me generally but attack everyone else, chase the dogs, my mini donkey and mini horse and then this morning I fund one of my chickens in a very bad way - bleeding badly after being attacked by the pack. I am not capable of culling or eating them personally but don't know where to now turn. A coyote got the mother when the goslings where about 2 months old and injured the father very badly but the vet operated and he is calm and cool.
Welcome, For one thing I would try hard to rehome 2 0f the ganders since thats way to much testosterone for one goose to have to deal with ya'll too. here is a link many of us have had to use and with success too. all the best. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS SOME GEESE THE MALES ARE VERY MEAN BUT IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE THEM BACK DOWN BY GET LOW TO THE GROUND FIND A LARGE JACKET PUT IT ON AND OPEN UP YOUR ARMS LIKE THEY DO THE WINGS THE JACKET THROWS THEM OFF AND MAKES THEM THINK YOUR A LARGE GOOSE AND THEY LEAVE ME ALONE LOL

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS SOME GEESE THE MALES ARE VERY MEAN BUT IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE THEM BACK DOWN BY GET LOW TO THE GROUND FIND A LARGE JACKET PUT IT ON AND OPEN UP YOUR ARMS LIKE THEY DO THE WINGS THE JACKET THROWS THEM OFF AND MAKES THEM THINK YOUR A LARGE GOOSE AND THEY LEAVE ME ALONE LOL
If it works for you that's great, I usually just open my arms while standing up, if got low to the ground with a large jacket on and opened my arms, my dh would have me committed to the funny farm.

I have recently been noticing one of my geese getting attacked by another. It happens only at night when they are in their cage together. I have 7 geese. They were all raised together.
I now notice that the one that gets attacked, will not hang out with the others. They use to be a pack. Today I grabbed the goose that has been getting attacked and started looking at its feathers and found scabs where apparently the aggressive goose has been biting the crap out of it. My thoughts are to take the aggressive goose away to my mothers and that solves the problem, but I really do not want to do this. My other idea is to separate them at night. Right now I do not have the accommodations to do this. Can you please recommend what I can do to try to solve this behavior? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently been noticing one of my geese getting attacked by another. It happens only at night when they are in their cage together. I have 7 geese. They were all raised together.
I now notice that the one that gets attacked, will not hang out with the others. They use to be a pack. Today I grabbed the goose that has been getting attacked and started looking at its feathers and found scabs where apparently the aggressive goose has been biting the crap out of it. My thoughts are to take the aggressive goose away to my mothers and that solves the problem, but I really do not want to do this. My other idea is to separate them at night. Right now I do not have the accommodations to do this. Can you please recommend what I can do to try to solve this behavior? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
@Vickyd5 sounds like you have 2 ganders but it could be a gander picking on a goose do you know what sex these 2 are? You def need to separate at night because just the stress let alone wounds can cause sickness if it keeps up. I'd split the flock up so each one has some friends which means you'll have to watch to see which ones hang with these 2 you can put tie wraps on the legs so you can get the right combination together say red for one blue for the other. Just keep them loose so not to cut off circulation. It would be a shame to take one away from it's gaggle because once breeding season is over they will be one happy gaggle again. Another member has 11 geese and is seeing some of his ganders being run away by the dominant gander. Which when foraging isn't so bad but isn't good to lock the one being picked on with this dominant one. Pics will help if you aren't sure of gender full front is best.

I am the guilty party with 11 geese. I started with three (one male and two females). They blessed me with 8 goslings who are now grown. Sting, the original gander and father, is now mating with all the females and running the other ganders off. While I toy with the idea of rehoming them I am pretty aware that, in our part of the country, that means they will be on the dinner table. So, as an alternative, I am working on a way to create a bachelor pad for the males and hope that helps. The free range o.k. because they have three acres to do so in. I just looked out and Sting and the six females are together in one area and the other 4 ganders are off by themselves.

I am the guilty party with 11 geese. I started with three (one male and two females). They blessed me with 8 goslings who are now grown. Sting, the original gander and father, is now mating with all the females and running the other ganders off. While I toy with the idea of rehoming them I am pretty aware that, in our part of the country, that means they will be on the dinner table. So, as an alternative, I am working on a way to create a bachelor pad for the males and hope that helps. The free range o.k. because they have three acres to do so in. I just looked out and Sting and the six females are together in one area and the other 4 ganders are off by themselves.
So the other 4 ganders have given Sting the respect he deserves as the dominant gander and don't try to usurp his position?

How are they are night when you close them up together?

So the other 4 ganders have given Sting the respect he deserves as the dominant gander and don't try to usurp his position?

How are they are night when you close them up together?
More the respect he THINKS he deserves. When I put them up at night he tries to pick on them but I push him away with my guide pole and he backs of. The bicker a bit in the house but settle down pretty quickly. I do have to watch when I let them out in the mornings. Sting will try to latch on to the wing of one of the other ganders and if I don't stop him he won't let go.

Back
Top Bottom