Dealing with aggressive goose

westpur

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
I have 6 Chinese white geese. I raised them from goslings. They have been great until a few weeks ago. Two of them have turned real aggressive. Hissing and biting. I know not go go anywhere near the nest. But when ever I come outside they come running like they are happy to see me. Heads up high and making the happy happy sounds. This turns sour after a min. or tow of being near me. The heads drop down and the hissing starts. Then the biting starts. I have tried holding them to calm them down. A suggestion that was given to me. Which is out of the question !!! Offering them corn, lettuce. and several other things. It keeps getting worse. So how do you members with geese deal with aggressive ganders ? They have drawn blood, left bruises, and I am not happy about this. I'm thinking Thanksgiving dinner , Christmas dinner, New Years dinner, and every Sunday between them, until this mean breed is out of here. I love the way the look, and they can be so kind ( when they feel like it ). I think next time I will pay a little more and get something like American Buff Goose...are known for their calm and docile disposition. Any input about is welcome , and in fact needed.

I know people say.
Don't show fear
Look them in the eyes
Back away slowly
And a few other things, But pack mentality rules out some of these thoughts. I got 5 healthy bites in less then 2 min. I have considered biting them back.
big_smile.png

Mine has gotten very nasty as well. Lowers the head, and slowly, comes at you, then the wings go, he's airborne, legs kicking, wings flapping, and bites. He's the only goose, got him with a duck, and they think they are two of the same, be it geese or ducks. Hisses, screams at the sight of me. Tried stretching out the arm and pointing and yelling no, didn't work, he comes back for more. I finally grabbed him by the neck, seemed to work as he ran off then, but good grief this is not fun at all. I'm the only one he attacks around here. Was thinking of finding a female for him, but after reading some posts on here I guess maybe that's a bad idea should they hatch any eggs, and if I have to wear armor to get to the eggs, well then, I think it's best he finds a new home or lop off his head, which I don't want to do either. Fence him in, sure, but what kind of life is that? Plus I would still have to go in there and feed him, lol. So not sure if more geese is a solution, maybe he needs a few of his own kind? Will put up with it for now as sorell boots offer great protection, but he still gets through jeans, and I'm dreading the day of flip flops and shorts even when I'm nowhere near him, who knows where he'll be hiding in wait.......
@Raquel your not alone in this, I and many others are dealing with hormone driven ganders right now, but you need to put a stop to his aggressive behavior especially his biting and flogging you. Oh yes I have to deal with it daily and only thing that keeps me going and I have been putting up with this going on 9 yrs now is breeding season will be over in June yep a long time away but they do begin to mellow out after that. As long as no goslings are around. lol so your going to have to show tough love to your gander. my gander thought for 5 yrs he was a giant duck[Muscovy] so I know what that is like too. Here is a thread that may help you at least stop the biting.

Let us know how it's going https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

Just as an aside .... 'dominance theory' (the idea that if an animal 'misbehaves' then that animal is being 'dominant') has been long debunked in dogs, where the theory originated, and isn't true for any other animal-human relationship, either. Your goose is just being a goose!

As for getting into everything - yes! They're grazing animals, so it makes sense that they want to be busy constantly. I don't allow chewing on hair, clothing, or hands (I just redirect or, eventually, remove them from my person if they persist).

Though I do allow them to play with my shoelaces, because it amuses me. :p

@Miss Lydia 's suggestions work!! I should try a flock block, actually - it might last longer. My guys tear through everything in a matter of minutes!

A FRIEND OF MINE HAS SOME GEESE THE MALES ARE VERY MEAN BUT IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE THEM BACK DOWN BY GET LOW TO THE GROUND FIND A LARGE JACKET PUT IT ON AND OPEN UP YOUR ARMS LIKE THEY DO THE WINGS THE JACKET THROWS THEM OFF AND MAKES THEM THINK YOUR A LARGE GOOSE AND THEY LEAVE ME ALONE LOL

I am the guilty party with 11 geese. I started with three (one male and two females). They blessed me with 8 goslings who are now grown. Sting, the original gander and father, is now mating with all the females and running the other ganders off. While I toy with the idea of rehoming them I am pretty aware that, in our part of the country, that means they will be on the dinner table. So, as an alternative, I am working on a way to create a bachelor pad for the males and hope that helps. The free range o.k. because they have three acres to do so in. I just looked out and Sting and the six females are together in one area and the other 4 ganders are off by themselves.

I too am having infighting. First time for me having to actually deal with it. I have more geese this year plus a new one they haven't fully accepted. I had to break up a fight for the first time between a couple of mine. They were flogging and biting each other. I pulled them apart because of the fact that it was getting late and i needed to lock them up for the night. Separately obviously. Anyway, I got bitten and hit a number of times. Interestingly enough neither was trying to get me at all. All my injuries were from sticking myself in the middle. They just tried to get around me to go back to their fight. They just gave me looks like get out of the way I don't want to fight you. I of course won, and will win any fight they or I decide to involve myself in. I am a much bigger bird them the two of them combined but still it was a major ouch. Anyone having to stop a goose fight should be aware that its way worse then having one go after you. Only get involved if you really need to and be careful. Hormones sure do a number on the males this time of year. I can't wait for things to go back to normal.

I posted on another thread, that I had success with a convenience store cup placed oved my aggressive ganders head while I grabbed eggs off the nest, he couldn't back up so could only gyrate his neck around, made it very easy to control the head with only 1 hand. Easy to get onto his head too, since he was trying to bite the foremost thing, so I offered the cup and popped it on his head one handed. No worries about missing his neck or getting my fingers nipped also.

hi folks! new guy here. I've had quite a few chinese geese and they tend to be very aggressive esp. if you have both sexes. like a dominate dog you need to be very assertive with them. on the other hand they are excellent protectors of the flock and will take on a dog, fox. or coyote. i grab and hold them until they submit. never back away or let them intimidate you our you'll have problems. these suckers bite hard! not a good breed of goose to have around kids.

My Chinese goose USED to be super aggressive....whenever she came at me i just greated her with open arms and cuddled her like crazy! You can pin their wings down, turn them facing away from you, tuck their body under your arm, and bury your head just behind their neck. They cant really get ahold of much except your forearm which isnt an easy target to get in their mouth. After 10 times or so of cuddling her...she stoped trying to attack me. This has worked with several geese over the years. Weird maybe but it works for me. I love them either way. :p

***Rez Girl (formerly mean goose) is pictured in my profile pic. swimming with me in our pond.

Last edited:
Does anyone else get super frustrated with their goose for getting into things? Lol mine loves to chew my hair, show laces and everything and won’t let me have a break lol I try and be stern and tell her no but she just keeps doing it. Sometimes I get super frustrated. I’ve tried toys and things like mentioned and goose proofing the area. Any other suggestions? Does anyone else experience this like me?

Thanks,
New goose mom

Back
Top Bottom