How to tame a goose?

Sunny Potato

Chirping
Nov 28, 2023
Hello! I need some advice with handling a goose, we have never had one before and we don't even know his breed but- I need to know how to make him more calm she likes trying to attack the chickens and has attacked them not badly and he likes hissing at us through fences-he has tried to challenge me and I have defended myself that being kicking him I'll be in a hard so don't worry he's fine (he hurts himself more, he has separation anxiety from his two friend runner ducks)
So I just need help/advice on how me and my family could tame him to be less aggressive, he is almost 1 year old

Heres a very close up picture because idk his breed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321-202109.png
    Screenshot_20240321-202109.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
@Goosebaby @JRies
I think he is Chinese
Oh please dont fight back (by kicking, even gently) that will just escalate his aggression , he will think you WANT to fight him.

This time of year geese (especially ganders) are aggressive because its breeding season. They are genetically wired to fight anything that comes near and to protect their goose (wife) and so it will get better ina couple months .

there are some things you can do if he is attacking you, pick him up and hold him for a while, then when you put him down, flap your arms and yell loudly (a victory yell) until he walks away;
you can sit with the geese and hold out some lettuce or kale leaves. you can talk to them in a sweet voice. hmm what else let me think, I will be back

Heres a very close up picture because idk his breed
White Chinese

If it's a male, there's no training him to be less aggressive. It's spring and his hormones are surging like @Jenbirdee said. He probably thinks the ducks are his wives. I wouldn't keep him in with them. Now I'm not sure 100% it's a male but my three ganders are very aggressive like you described where the female is not. You'd probably be best trying to get a goose for him if possible :).

White Chinese

If it's a male, there's no training him to be less aggressive. It's spring and his hormones are surging like @Jenbirdee said. He probably thinks the ducks are his wives. I wouldn't keep him in with them. Now I'm not sure 100% it's a male but my three ganders are very aggressive like you described where the female is not. You'd probably be best trying to get a goose for him if possible :).
This made me think op has a female for him but Im probably wrong now that I reread it
"she likes trying to attack the chickens and has attacked them not badly and he likes hissing at us through fences"

This made me think op has a female for him but Im probably wrong now that I reread it
"she likes trying to attack the chickens and has attacked them not badly and he likes hissing at us through fences"
Yeah, they keep using he/she interchangeably so I figured they only have one goose.

Well you cant calm a goose during breeding season. I call it hissing season. My ganders who love and respect me 9 months a year. Greet me with a his 2 months a year. The best thing you can do for him is get him a goose girl. Runners will lay allot in the spring sometimes in the fall but if there is a egg involved. There his. Since he looks like a white Chinese if you haven't seen a egg my guess is boy who needs a goose girl.
PS I walk my ganders down I let them have there little tuffle and who ever wins I raise my wings (arms) and make them retreat. Have 13 Boys and 15 girls

Last edited:
yeah it’s breeding season, there’s not much you can do like everyone here has said.
The important thing is to remember that he can’t help himself, he can’t control his behavior and you have to be patient. He’s quicker to anger and easily triggered this time of year.
Picking him up when he attacks is a great solution as @Jenbirdee said. Picking them up and carrying them for a minute snaps them out of their rage temporarily, and I say temporarily because the hormones are still acting up so he’ll likely be triggered again sometime later.

Fighting him only reinforces his aggression because it reinforces his viewpoint that you’re an attacker invading his space.

Geese respond positively with time spent with them, the more time you spend just hanging out with him the more he’ll come to view you as a member of his flock. Treats will also help, but after you’ve given him time to settle down. Excitement sometimes overwhelms geese and they don’t know how to deal with it in a constructive way and with some it turns into aggression.

Last edited:
I have my goose separate from my chickens, chickens can see the goose, and if they do get in his pen, they have escape holes. If I go into his pen, I carry a board to block him from getting to me. I don't hit or kick him though. I will pet him with him on his side of the fence, me on another. I would not reward him with letting him attack anything.

Back
Top Bottom