Special needs goose (possibly)

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
Hello, earlier this week my 8 week gosling was attacked, I think by a dog. I ended up taking him to the vet. He's back home but has a clumsy walk and keeps his tongue sticking out. Vet said it's quite possibly permanent. I think his tongue may be interfering somewhat with his ability to drink. At least I'm used to seeing them bring their heads back and he's not doing that anymore. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation and what was done to help the goose out. I was thinking of trying a drip waterer like for rabbits.

Attachments

• 20230825_165417.jpg
    20230825_165417.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230824_175553.jpg
    20230824_175553.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230824_165414.jpg
    20230824_165414.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 16
Recovery from neurological injury is hard to gage, the wounds are still fresh and it’s going to take time to heal externally and whatever may be going on in the brain.
Given time he may get better and the tongue issue may not be permanent, if it is he could learn to feed and drink in a different way.

The tongue also looks like it has an injury so there’s a chance there could also be swelling partially causing him to keep it stuck out like that.

Recovery from neurological injury is hard to gage, the wounds are still fresh and it’s going to take time to heal externally and whatever may be going on in the brain.
Given time he may get better and the tongue issue may not be permanent, if it is he could learn to feed and drink in a different way.

The tongue also looks like it has an injury so there’s a chance there could also be swelling partially causing him to keep it stuck out like that.
You're right, it's difficult to know how the healing will progress. I raised his water bowl and I think it's helping him drink better. One concern of mine is if he's not getting proper nutrition then how it could affect his recovery.
I think his little "teeth" may be irritating his tongue. There was no damage to it during the initial attack at least.

Back
Top Bottom