A gram stain from a dropping sample can determine if there’s a high amount of gram positive or negative bacteria in the dropping sample. A fecal float is used to determine the presence of parasites or eggs. Without some specific equipment neither is really possible at home unfortunately.

As for vitamins, definitely liquid B complex and I would strongly suggest rooster booster poultry cell because it has a lot of iron in it.

It has E in it but for greatest impact I would suggest getting some E vitamin capsules.

Also a 12 ml syringe for oral dosing because he isn’t going to want to take the vitamins freely, and I wouldn’t blame him, tastes awful.

Iron supplements can cause nausea so I suggest starting with a low dose of the poultry cell if you can find it, around 2ml twice a day and then move up to 3 ml twice a day. It says it can be given in 6 ml dosages but I found out the hard way that that triggers nausea pretty bad in geese and my goose vomited it all over the room when I gave it to him.
I successfully found some Rooster Booster Poultry Cell this morning and administered it to my goose. He seemed to enjoy it. These are the vitamins I was able to find at my local vitamin shop. I was weary towards some of the ingredients (especially for the liquid B complex). Are you aware if these are safe ingredients to give to my goose or should I order cleaner options online?

Attachments

• 92F692C5-DE31-42EF-8845-DBB561854DDE.jpeg
    92F692C5-DE31-42EF-8845-DBB561854DDE.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 5
They are all GNC brand.

Vitamin A: 3000mcg

Vitamin E: 180mg

-Liquid B Complex-
Riboflavin: 1.7mg
Niacin: 20mg
Vitamin B6: 2mg
Vitamin B12: 1000mcg
Pantothenic Acid: 30mg

Birds can take high doses of B vitamins. B vitamins are water soluble like vitamin C so it’s pretty hard to overdose on them and even if it does happen it just can temporarily elevate their body temperature and cause some nausea.
3ml is usually what I’ll give a day.

The Vitamin A and E capsules, give one of each a day.

Birds can take high doses of B vitamins. B vitamins are water soluble like vitamin C so it’s pretty hard to overdose on them and even if it does happen it just can temporarily elevate their body temperature and cause some nausea.
3ml is usually what I’ll give a day.

The Vitamin A and E capsules, give one of each a day.
Hi, Hope you are well, I have been administering the vitamins to my goose as specified and he has seemed to improve in terms of fatigue and distress. I have also been giving him SafeGuard horse dewormer (2.3ml per pound) for about 5 days now.

He has sadly been bedridden. He is still having balance issues and his droppings have been liquidy and dark green until
today when they now appear mucousy and tan. He also has lost significant weight. Based off the provided information, do you have any theories on what may still be ailing him?

Hi, Hope you are well, I have been administering the vitamins to my goose as specified and he has seemed to improve in terms of fatigue and distress. I have also been giving him SafeGuard horse dewormer (2.3ml per pound) for about 5 days now.

He has sadly been bedridden. He is still having balance issues and his droppings have been liquidy and dark green until
today when they now appear mucousy and tan. He also has lost significant weight. Based off the provided information, do you have any theories on what may still be ailing him?
He also isn’t eating but he is drinking.

Poor guy. I'm impressed with your efforts! I suggest stopping the wormer, since wormer is essentially poison, it can make him feel ill. Carprofen is really hard on geese, as well. Avian vets prefer meticam. I suggest discontinuing that as well. Finally, I'm not sure where you are and how hot it is, but important to keep him cool, preferably outside in shade with a mister, to avoid heat stress. For food, I would get mazuri and toss it into his water. It floats and is highly palatable and nutritious. Also, offer fresh romaine lettuce or hand-pick grass. Best of luck!

Wormer shouldn’t be given longer than 5 days usually so I wouldn’t continue with it.
Like Iain Utah says Mazuri is great and mixing feed in water can encourage him to eat, you can also try a 30% protein feed like purina game bird start to help put weight on quickly.
If he continues refusing to eat unfortunately the only way to help him will be tube feeding with a 60ml syringe. It seems daunting but it isn’t as difficult as it seems.

Mucous in droppings can be a sign of an intestinal infection. Do you have any pictures? Have you noticed anything that’s orange or salmon colored, black, or red?

Back
Top Bottom