How to tame a goose?

yes also definitely protect your chickens and ducks by separating them with a fence so geese cant hurt them.
I have ducks and chickens and geese also but I keep my geese on the other side of my yard with a fence in between so they cant hurt them (because they try to sometimes, like yours are doing)

It's breeding season, and most geese become aggressive then. Better to separate him until his hormones calm down. Being aggressive with him will only make him more aggressive.
Will most definitely take this into hand, only problem is when he is separate from his two ducks he starts freaking out and ends up hurting himself trying to get out to them.
The only time the goose is with our other birds is during the day, he is only really mean when they are all eating. But the chickens have room to run away from him if needed.
The only ones of our birds that will stick up to our goose is our male turkey and our rooster(occasionally)
I try not to be aggressive with him, when he hisses at me I'll go into his little area grab him and put him in-between my legs and just pet him-
My dad is the one who is really aggressive with him-

I have my goose separate from my chickens, chickens can see the goose, and if they do get in his pen, they have escape holes. If I go into his pen, I carry a board to block him from getting to me. I don't hit or kick him though. I will pet him with him on his side of the fence, me on another. I would not reward him with letting him attack anything.

@Goosebaby @JRies
I think he is Chinese
Oh please dont fight back (by kicking, even gently) that will just escalate his aggression , he will think you WANT to fight him.

This time of year geese (especially ganders) are aggressive because its breeding season. They are genetically wired to fight anything that comes near and to protect their goose (wife) and so it will get better ina couple months .

there are some things you can do if he is attacking you, pick him up and hold him for a while, then when you put him down, flap your arms and yell loudly (a victory yell) until he walks away;
you can sit with the geese and hold out some lettuce or kale leaves. you can talk to them in a sweet voice. hmm what else let me think, I will be back
Alright I'll keep that in mind, usually when he hisses at me I'll try and grab him and put him in-between my legs, my mom has been trying to get him to eat from a container from her hand and he has but then he got scared and ran away- thank you

yeah it’s breeding season, there’s not much you can do like everyone here has said.
The important thing is to remember that he can’t help himself, he can’t control his behavior and you have to be patient. He’s quicker to anger and easily triggered this time of year.
Picking him up when he attacks is a great solution as @Jenbirdee said. Picking them up and carrying them for a minute snaps them out of their rage temporarily, and I say temporarily because the hormones are still acting up so he’ll likely be triggered again sometime later.

Fighting him only reinforces his aggression because it reinforces his viewpoint that you’re an attacker invading his space.

Geese respond positively with time spent with them, the more time you spend just hanging out with him the more he’ll come to view you as a member of his flock. Treats will also help, but after you’ve given him time to settle down. Excitement sometimes overwhelms geese and they don’t know how to deal with it in a constructive way and with some it turns into aggression.
Okay thank you! We have never had a goose before and frankly didn't do proper research for personalitys, when it stops snowing we're I am I'll attempt to get him into our yard and just sit there with him, I'll give this information to my family as well so they know to :)

Well you cant calm a goose during breeding season. I call it hissing season. My ganders who love and respect me 9 months a year. Greet me with a his 2 months a year. The best thing you can do for him is get him a goose girl. Runners will lay allot in the spring sometimes in the fall but if there is a egg involved. There his. Since he looks like a white Chinese if you haven't seen a egg my guess is boy who needs a goose girl.
PS I walk my ganders down I let them have there little tuffle and who ever wins I raise my wings (arms) and make them retreat. Have 13 Boys and 15 girls
He is in fact a boy, unfortunately my family does not want to get another goose, so getting him a female is not something I can do- :(

Will most definitely take this into hand, only problem is when he is separate from his two ducks he starts freaking out and ends up hurting himself trying to get out to them.
The only time the goose is with our other birds is during the day, he is only really mean when they are all eating. But the chickens have room to run away from him if needed.
The only ones of our birds that will stick up to our goose is our male turkey and our rooster(occasionally)
I try not to be aggressive with him, when he hisses at me I'll go into his little area grab him and put him in-between my legs and just pet him-
My dad is the one who is really aggressive with him-
Geese can harm ducks but considering that he’s bonded to them he won’t attack them out of territorial behavior, it could just be an issue with him trying to breed them. I don’t think you should separate him from the ducks considering you aren’t getting a goose and he’s distraught over being separated from him, that will just worsen with separation.

Geese can harm ducks but considering that he’s bonded to them he won’t attack them out of territorial behavior, it could just be an issue with him trying to breed them. I don’t think you should separate him from the ducks considering you aren’t getting a goose and he’s distraught over being separated from him, that will just worsen with separation.
Alright, but if we see signs hes trying to mate with them we'll have to move them during the night.
His separation anxiety is so bad that once the two runners were on the inside of a fence and he was outside, when I was putting them away I saw him and saw that his eye was really red so I had to catch him and apparently. He didn't know how to get into the area with the ducks so he was just shoving his face through the fence, scraping his bill up and rubbing the metal on his eyes.
He's fine now, his bill just looks really rough-

Alright, but if we see signs hes trying to mate with them we'll have to move them during the night.
His separation anxiety is so bad that once the two runners were on the inside of a fence and he was outside, when I was putting them away I saw him and saw that his eye was really red so I had to catch him and apparently. He didn't know how to get into the area with the ducks so he was just shoving his face through the fence, scraping his bill up and rubbing the metal on his eyes.
He's fine now, his bill just looks really rough-
They can be like that, I have two ganders that are bonded, but they fight in breeding season, one year it was so bad I separated them and in only an hour Darby stripped the skin off his feet trying to scale a fence to get back to his brother. What can ya do?

@Goosebaby @JRies
I think he is Chinese
Oh please dont fight back (by kicking, even gently) that will just escalate his aggression , he will think you WANT to fight him.

This time of year geese (especially ganders) are aggressive because its breeding season. They are genetically wired to fight anything that comes near and to protect their goose (wife) and so it will get better ina couple months .

there are some things you can do if he is attacking you, pick him up and hold him for a while, then when you put him down, flap your arms and yell loudly (a victory yell) until he walks away;
you can sit with the geese and hold out some lettuce or kale leaves. you can talk to them in a sweet voice. hmm what else let me think, I will be back
Hello! I just wanted to say that I have and my dad- have been flapping our arms whenever he tries to hiss/attack us, and this is causing him to turn away and stop, sometimes even hide.
I hope we aren't challenging him because as I see it us flapping our arms like that is telling him that we are the bigger bird I hope I'm right about that 🙂 so please correct me if im not!

Hello! I just wanted to say that I have and my dad- have been flapping our arms whenever he tries to hiss/attack us, and this is causing him to turn away and stop, sometimes even hide.
I hope we aren't challenging him because as I see it us flapping our arms like that is telling him that we are the bigger bird I hope I'm right about that 🙂 so please correct me if im not!
arm flapping is great. I do it too.

Back
Top Bottom