Dealing with chicken leg injury (hanging from fence)

cjstanman

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Just north of Raleigh
First of all, thanks to all who have posted previously on dealing with chicken leg injuries - it was a big help to me! I have 26 hens and one of the younger ones decided to fly to the top of the 6' chain link fence section to check things out. Apparently she got tangled up when trying to get down and when my husband got home from work (he was home first), he found her hanging upside down. Wasn't sure how to deal with it, so here's what we did/are doing and I'll keep everyone posted. (Thanks also to my good friend Laura for her advice and sympathy!)

It doesn't look like her leg is broken but the foot is swollen and bruised. We put her in a separate section of our coop - in fact, we had just cleaned that out from a batch of roosters we had raised and it made for a good hospital. I wasn't sure she would make it through the night - she was pretty much out of it but still breathing, so we left food and water right next to her and hoped for the best. The next morning, she was sitting up, head erect and scoping things out. By the afternoon, she had kinda scooted a little ways across the floor and was much more alert. Food, fresh water, and a couple of cucumber slices for good luck!

Here's all the advice I gathered:

1. Isolate her because other chickens will pick mercilessly on an injured bird, even if there's no blood. There is no such thing as peer support or sympathy in the chicken mind!
2. The hen will act like she's in shock for a couple days and will want to hide behind something, even if it's just a box in the shade where she can stick her head. She'll assume the rest of her is hidden as well.
3. Provide food and water right next to her so she doesn't have to move far. Don't be afraid to feed her by hand. She'll get the idea after you drop a few pieces of food near her. If she's nutty about having people come too close, just leave the food. Orrrr you can pick her up and carry her under your arm to tame her. This will make it harder to deal with after she becomes very fond of you and is then eaten by a raccoon (speaking of which, make sure outdoor food is taken up in the evening).
4. Just wait for her to come out of her funk and her leg will heal up by itself. It will probably take 2 weeks of babying.
5. When she gets better, stick her back with the ladies, hope she's learned her lesson and doesn't fly around too much.

Thanks, everyone - so far, so good!
big_smile.png

It sounds like you have things under control and are doing the right things. If it is her foot swelled and not her whole leg then there is a good possibility she can make a full recovery in as soon as a few days. Did her foot have any open wounds on it or anything? If so, iodine can help if the wounds arent too deep. It keeps out infection.

Chickens can get themselves in some pretty crazy situations. I am glad yours is doing better. Yesterday I came home from work to one stuck behind a wall. Dont know how long she had been there, but no more then a few hours. She was so cramped up she couldnt walk or even hold herself staright up sitting. But with a little TLC she is doing much better she even stood for a few minutes last night. She is in the hospital cage eating like a pig. She is a 3 month old Cinnamon Queen. I hadnt named her yet so now her name is Wall Flower.

"Wallflower" - great name, ha ha!

My silly girl is doing better and better - eating, drinking, and reigning supreme over all she beholds, ha ha! Still lying down for the most part, but has started scooting around a bit. Thanks to all for your advice and good wishes!

Jan

First of all, thanks to all who have posted previously on dealing with chicken leg injuries - it was a big help to me! I have 26 hens and one of the younger ones decided to fly to the top of the 6' chain link fence section to check things out. Apparently she got tangled up when trying to get down and when my husband got home from work (he was home first), he found her hanging upside down. Wasn't sure how to deal with it, so here's what we did/are doing and I'll keep everyone posted. (Thanks also to my good friend Laura for her advice and sympathy!)

It doesn't look like her leg is broken but the foot is swollen and bruised. We put her in a separate section of our coop - in fact, we had just cleaned that out from a batch of roosters we had raised and it made for a good hospital. I wasn't sure she would make it through the night - she was pretty much out of it but still breathing, so we left food and water right next to her and hoped for the best. The next morning, she was sitting up, head erect and scoping things out. By the afternoon, she had kinda scooted a little ways across the floor and was much more alert. Food, fresh water, and a couple of cucumber slices for good luck!

Here's all the advice I gathered:

1. Isolate her because other chickens will pick mercilessly on an injured bird, even if there's no blood. There is no such thing as peer support or sympathy in the chicken mind!
2. The hen will act like she's in shock for a couple days and will want to hide behind something, even if it's just a box in the shade where she can stick her head. She'll assume the rest of her is hidden as well.
3. Provide food and water right next to her so she doesn't have to move far. Don't be afraid to feed her by hand. She'll get the idea after you drop a few pieces of food near her. If she's nutty about having people come too close, just leave the food. Orrrr you can pick her up and carry her under your arm to tame her. This will make it harder to deal with after she becomes very fond of you and is then eaten by a raccoon (speaking of which, make sure outdoor food is taken up in the evening).
4. Just wait for her to come out of her funk and her leg will heal up by itself. It will probably take 2 weeks of babying.
5. When she gets better, stick her back with the ladies, hope she's learned her lesson and doesn't fly around too much.

Thanks, everyone - so far, so good!
big_smile.png
Thanks for the wonderful advice! I had read this a while back but really didn't need the information at the time. But, as chickens often do, one of my hens found herself in a precarious position. it must have been some kind of kerfuffle that went on in the coop yesterday because they had knocked down a solar light, part of the chainthat holds it to the ceiling had fallen & a hen got it stuck in her wing. When I got into the coop she was flailing, I got her detached from the chain easily as it only went through that very too part of the arch on the wing. Only a little bubble or blood showed and clotted immediately. Did first aide treatment and separated by bringing her in the house and into a crate. She immediately began drinking and eating but she was walking/standing awkwardly. She was pretty stressed, panting, shivering, and super quite (not like this voiceful girl). So, I decided to let her be & reevaluate today. She looks much better today but one leg is swollen, no noticeable injury, just swollen & she is curling her toes. She complains when I touch it and tries to stand on it. She does flatten it when standing but doesn't do so for long. I'm unsure what to do. Leave her be and allow her time to heal or do I need to wrap it? Epsom salt soak? I want to help but definitely don't want to stress her more. She's always been loveable but is shy & afraid of her own shadow! I would appreciate your advice on how to proceed. I don't want to lose our Pippa, she's my husband's girl & a gorgeous black sex link that just started laying a couple months ago. Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Back
Top Bottom