Dealing with grief and massive loss.

Armywife: If you're responding to Tori, I think you missed one detail. The dog that did the killing belonged to the owner of the poultry. The dog is going to be re-homed. Certainly a sad situation all around. However, if you're responding to a previous poster, my bad!

Tori, I'm so sad that you lost your wonderful birds, and also sad that you have to re-home your dog also. I wish you the best in quickly finding a new home for her.

I was responding to lavendire, it seemed the dog dug into her yard i don't believe the dogs were hers but if I misunderstood I apologize

I was responding to lavendire, it seemed the dog dug into her yard i don't believe the dogs were hers but if I misunderstood I apologize
You understood correctly that was another poster.

I have no idea why people think its ok to let their dogs just roam. It's not safe for the Dogs or for neighbors that might have animals the dogs could terrorize or worse kill. Their dogs can do damage or get hit by a car or even worse some messed up person could steal and torture their dogs. It should be the owners responsibility to provide a fenced yard, kennel or dog run.

I am so sorry for the loss of your chickens, this is so upsetting and I worry about the same happening since i have several neighbors on my street that just let their dogs out. I would install a apron around the coop like others have suggested just in case, for the future. But if the same dog showed up after what happened I would make it go away. I do like the suggestions for turning it into animal control and filing an incident report and hopefully taking legal action against the neighbor. Seems like if they own dogs they should have enough money to care for them and take responsibility for their actions if they want to just let them run loose.

Quote:
Same here. Our neighbors dog killed one of my light brahma hens. We talked to animal control and they told us if dogs are predating on our livestock or poultry, shoot them. They also paid a visit to the neighbor in question and their dog has never returned. Now the neighbors on the other side are another story, their dogs are always in trouble, not with just us but with bikers and joggers on the state highway. They have knocked people down, attacked their bikes, etc. And they keep adding to their collection. Was 2 now they have 4 dogs. Some folks never get a clue.

And dogs are sloppy killers. At least when Mr. Fox has attacked he takes his meal with him. When a dog comes into the yard, they kill for fun. We lost a turkey to something about a month ago. Hubby said it was a dog because it was so sloppy and the carcass not taken.

Same here. Our neighbors dog killed one of my light brahma hens. We talked to animal control and they told us if dogs are predating on our livestock or poultry, shoot them. They also paid a visit to the neighbor in question and their dog has never returned. Now the neighbors on the other side are another story, their dogs are always in trouble, not with just us but with bikers and joggers on the state highway. They have knocked people down, attacked their bikes, etc. And they keep adding to their collection. Was 2 now they have 4 dogs. Some folks never get a clue.

And dogs are sloppy killers. At least when Mr. Fox has attacked he takes his meal with him. When a dog comes into the yard, they kill for fun. We lost a turkey to something about a month ago. Hubby said it was a dog because it was so sloppy and the carcass not taken.
Couldn't be a truer statement. At least with coyotes and foxes, they kill to survive and take one or two. Dogs just grab one after another after another and move onto the next until they are caught.

My recent incident was with my own dog that got out, but at one point had neighbors that let all 10 of their dogs run loose, which I lost a goat to, and the other goat was severely injured. After we shot one that returned for the injured goat, they started pinning them up more.

My farm motto:

Your dog in you yard is your pet; your dog in my yard is a predator.

I called animal control after a massacre. He talked to the neighbor...... The neighbor's response? I live in the country, I am not chaining up my dogs.

That was when the officer asked me if I understand what SSS is?

Last edited:
My farm motto:

Your dog in you yard is your pet; your dog in my yard is a predator.

I called animal control after a massacre. He talked to the neighbor...... The neighbor's response? I live in the country, I am not chaining up my dogs.

That was when the officer asked me if I understand what SSS is?

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

No kidding. The fools next door that let their dogs roam said that they like to hunt and therefore they don't have to feed them much. Yeah, hunt is right, apparently poultry is on their dinner menu. I have also seen dead cats, rabbits, in their driveway with the dogs chowing down. Disgusting but then so are these people. They keep saying they are moving, for me it can't be soon enough.

Are these clowns renters? If so, contact the property owner and let them know that they are a nuisance. And the police have been called. Usually gets their attention, the last thing they want is a bad rep on their property. Seen too many take advantage of nice folks.

Back
Top Bottom