Dealing with grief and massive loss.

No kidding. The fools next door that let their dogs roam said that they like to hunt and therefore they don't have to feed them much. Yeah, hunt is right, apparently poultry is on their dinner menu. I have also seen dead cats, rabbits, in their driveway with the dogs chowing down. Disgusting but then so are these people. They keep saying they are moving, for me it can't be soon enough.
That is absolutely disgusting, I have barn cats as well and they have an important job to do controlling mice if a neighbor dog took them or my poultry it would end poorly for that dog. It's one thing to raise feed animals for your pets another to let them eat neighborhood pets.

From what I heard when we moved here about 3 years ago, they have had several dogs before these shot by neighbors because they are obnoxious pains in the behind. But we live out in BFE and they have about 33 acres so they think they can let them roam at will. We have 3 acres, and the dogs seem to think that my 3 acres is their 3 acres. I know she must have got in trouble last year for them attacking the bikers because she did try an invisible fence but the stupid lab kept going over it and screaming so she took the collar off and tied her up for a while. But then it was back to the same old same. She said she is used to running free and couldn't confine her, it would just break her heart. Really?

I have 6 dogs, but we have a fenced backyard for them. If they are out of the fenced area the Great Pyrenees is on a lead line and the others have the sense to stay with us. But they are never allowed to roam at will, unsupervised. Funny thing is, when we are out front, her dogs come charging over at us, barking and trying to intimidate us. If you yell at them the go home for the most part, but usually not before taking a dump on the property, kinda like a screw you lady from her dogs.

I love dogs, really I do, but on the owners property. Heck, I wouldn't have the amount I do if I hated dogs, but mine do not predate on the neighbors sheep, goats, cattle, etc.

From what I heard when we moved here about 3 years ago, they have had several dogs before these shot by neighbors because they are obnoxious pains in the behind. But we live out in BFE and they have about 33 acres so they think they can let them roam at will. We have 3 acres, and the dogs seem to think that my 3 acres is their 3 acres. I know she must have got in trouble last year for them attacking the bikers because she did try an invisible fence but the stupid lab kept going over it and screaming so she took the collar off and tied her up for a while. But then it was back to the same old same. She said she is used to running free and couldn't confine her, it would just break her heart. Really?

I have 6 dogs, but we have a fenced backyard for them. If they are out of the fenced area the Great Pyrenees is on a lead line and the others have the sense to stay with us. But they are never allowed to roam at will, unsupervised. Funny thing is, when we are out front, her dogs come charging over at us, barking and trying to intimidate us. If you yell at them the go home for the most part, but usually not before taking a dump on the property, kinda like a screw you lady from her dogs.

I love dogs, really I do, but on the owners property. Heck, I wouldn't have the amount I do if I hated dogs, but mine do not predate on the neighbors sheep, goats, cattle, etc.

It really is frustrating, I know.
In your situation, I would suggest employing some live traps on your property - catch one of her dogs and either call A/C to pick it up, take it home and give her a warning or just take it to the shelter as a stray caught on your property. If she loves the dog enough she'll pay the fees and reclaim it (if not, it can be adopted out and moved away from your property) - when it starts to hurt her pocket book she may become a bit more inclined to prevent future incursions on to your land.

I agree with Grey mare. As much as you want to, I would not shoot the dog as it would just escalate the friction you have with this neighbor and turn it into a full scale war. Nothing worse than having that kind of situation to live through.

Still the owner of the dog is responsible for the destruction of your property. However, her original response to learning about what her dog had done is indication that she is just clueless. I would definitely do the live trap and when and if you catch the dog, march it into A/C along with telling them why you are turning that animal in. Trust me, getting hit in the pocketbook will get your neighbor's attention plus the A/C people will more than likely list it as a 'problem animal'.

I would also get more chickens and hot wire your run. Trust me, it works. Put the wire about 3-4 inches off the ground and keep it fired up. We have 5 dogs and try to be responsible dog owners. BUT I know that with the temptation of all those funny feathered things that move so temptingly, they wouldn't be able to resisit going after them if the notion struck them. The hot wire stops them in their tracks. Each of them has encountered it or seen it's house mates encounter it and we have had absolutely no dog problem with our coop and the dogs. In fact, one of them who happens to be a Jack Russel/Border Collie mix stuck her nose on it and for weeks wouldn't go near the barn where the chickens are. Now she makes a wide circle around it even if it means going out of her way. You would have no trouble stopping the neighbor's terrier from staging another attack.

Dogs can be useful around chickens though so please don't let this encounter spoil your thoughts about canines. Yesterday our 11 year old Border Collie caught and killed a young raccoon. She left it laying between the run and our car which was parked near by, right where we couldn't miss seeing it. One less potential chicken killer to deal with. She got a lot of praise and cuddles not to mention treats. I don't know what we will do when she is gone. I told my husband that we need to let her train one of the younger dogs to guard the chickens and kill raccoons. If we go away for the day, I feel safe knowing that we can tell her to 'guard her chickens' and the chickens will be guarded by this loyal old girl.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. What a terrible thing and even more terrible is the 'oh well they are only chickens' attitude of your neighbor.

PS. Police Report! And ask your local law enforcement if they would be kind enough to stop in and have a talk with this woman. Lots of times the PoPo can make an impression on somebody a lot better than you can.

Have you checked Kentucky law? If law says they have to reimburse you for lost livestock, she has to pay for any birds her dogs killed, regardless if you live in BFE with no leash laws or in the suburbs where there are. She may not be required to pin them up, but she is most likely required to pay for damages they cause!

I would have to catch them in the act and her see it to prove it. When my blue slate turkey hen was killed, her Australian Shepherd was hi tailing it for home from down by our retention pond right on the side where the body of the hen was laying, and it kept looking back. It was the only animal out and when we had let our dogs out at 5 am and she was not laying in the yard dead then, so this dog came into the yard afterwards. I wish the time I caught their Golden Retriever, Lab and Aussie in the yard I would have taken a picture. What they do is sneak under the fencing and they are lighting fast. We have tried to find every place they have snuck in at and fix it, block it, etc.

That hot wire sounds like an excellent idea. But I have a question about that.

The hot wire, won't it hurt the chickens if it will give a dog a jolt? I don't want to accidentally kill one of them. I think our other neighbor has something like that on his fence for his dog, a wire that runs along the bottom portion of the fence. His dog touched it once and yelped and he told him to stay off the fence. Is this something I could get at TSC? And is it something that I need a charger or something to make it work? This is all new to me. I am a city girl from Detroit who has lived in KY since the 80's, but always in town, not out in the country. I am learning by the school of hard knocks with some of this stuff.

I would have to catch them in the act and her see it to prove it. When my blue slate turkey hen was killed, her Australian Shepherd was hi tailing it for home from down by our retention pond right on the side where the body of the hen was laying, and it kept looking back. It was the only animal out and when we had let our dogs out at 5 am and she was not laying in the yard dead then, so this dog came into the yard afterwards. I wish the time I caught their Golden Retriever, Lab and Aussie in the yard I would have taken a picture. What they do is sneak under the fencing and they are lighting fast. We have tried to find every place they have snuck in at and fix it, block it, etc.

That hot wire sounds like an excellent idea. But I have a question about that.

The hot wire, won't it hurt the chickens if it will give a dog a jolt? I don't want to accidentally kill one of them. I think our other neighbor has something like that on his fence for his dog, a wire that runs along the bottom portion of the fence. His dog touched it once and yelped and he told him to stay off the fence. Is this something I could get at TSC? And is it something that I need a charger or something to make it work? This is all new to me. I am a city girl from Detroit who has lived in KY since the 80's, but always in town, not out in the country. I am learning by the school of hard knocks with some of this stuff.

My personal approach would be either as described above regarding the use of the live traps or SSS in your situation -- SSS is never my first preference, but is not something I would hesitate to do if I felt the situation warranted it -- the last two S's are the key, if they are effectively employed the issue of legality becomes a bit of a cow's opinion (bonus points to anyone that gets that reference, lol).
Lots of folks use hotwire around their flocks - some in the form of electric poultry netting ( @JackE is one that comes to mind) - others in the form of a strand or two strategically placed to best impact predators (I have two strands around the perimeter of my run that is tied into the pasture fencing that is also electric). I have not had any issues with my chickens with regards to the hot wire in either application that I am using -- the bottom hot wire on the pasture is at a height they can't reach it without having their feet off the ground, so that voids the issue there. As a side benefit, the wire is also very effective against "free range children" who have no respect for property lines, multiple requests to stay out of areas, etc.

Dogs can be useful around chickens though so please don't let this encounter spoil your thoughts about canines. Yesterday our 11 year old Border Collie caught and killed a young raccoon. She left it laying between the run and our car which was parked near by, right where we couldn't miss seeing it. One less potential chicken killer to deal with. She got a lot of praise and cuddles not to mention treats. I don't know what we will do when she is gone. I told my husband that we need to let her train one of the younger dogs to guard the chickens and kill raccoons. If we go away for the day, I feel safe knowing that we can tell her to 'guard her chickens' and the chickens will be guarded by this loyal old girl.
I have 2 really good neighbors that have chickens and animals and one that has her one and a half acres unfenced and she thinks when she calls the dog will come. NOT. She also thinks its okay to open her rear door and let it out. 2 months ago I yelled in her face and called not only her dog a POS but her as well. See the dog is the way it is because the owner is lazy.

I have a beloved st bernard. I had her obedience trained when she was a pup she is now going on 12 1/2 years old and thank the lord she has no ailments and is healthy and her joints and bones are healthy. She is the calmest, sweetest, most loveable dog. Until something messes with my 2 sheep. She really is not attached to my ducks or chickens however because she is loud coons, skunks and possums steer clear of my back yard which is an acre. She loves the sheep now and sits among the 2 and they follow her everywhere if my chickens are out of their pen she wont mess with them but I dont think she will protect them the same as my sheep.

2 months ago I had to pull my 18ft trailer out my yard, hubby manned my gate. My st bernard had my 2 sheep with its lamb in the back of the land. My truck and trailer where half way through the gate when the neighbors dog shot through it when she let it out and went after my 1 month old lamb, her dog is quick and the lamb was grazing she bit the side of my lamb. My dog not as quick anymore got her and a dog fight was on. while my dog was fighting hubby went to the garage after the gun. That dog was so close to being shot. Every time it had a chance to run off to its own yard it would fixate on my lamb i was trying to put it up while the dog was taking care of the dog but the poor baby was scared. my husband couldn't get a shot off because he was scared he would get my dog, the neighbor ran in my yard frantic and she carried it away bloody and its leg broken.. Before she left my yard, I went off on her and she rebutted with she was going to charge me for damages my dog did to her dog. Well I directly told her if her dog ever entered my fenced yard and it so much as chased my animals she would not be carting it out breathing. I then called the sheriff to report it which they went over and explained to her since her dog was injured inside my property even by my dog I was not responsible for anything, the women even asked the sheriff if she could force my dog being put down because it brutally attacked her dog and which he stated, the st Bernard was protecting the flock and doing its job. I have no heart for animals that willfully attach animals for fun. My stance is different for coons and coyotes they are actually hungry its not a sport for them but i will shot them and have shot them.

So hopefully that neighbor learned her lesson of allowing a dog out without it being properly contained and she realizes her dog wont come when called to. Domestic dogs can be come of the worst pests but it is the owners fault not the dogs. Dogs are trainable. They are also life savers. So as this poster stated dog give up hope on dogs, a bad dog equals a bad owner.. IMO

Last edited:
Hello. I'm glad this thread exists. I'm totally heart broken and cannot sleep. I lost 6 of my 7 babies (ducks) 2 months ago. I went on my first international vacation to Brazil, since I started raising ducks 2 years ago. There was always hesitation with the thought of leaving my babies for longer than a weekend. I followed my routine religiously (putting the ducks away right at sunset and letting them out of their duck house in the morning). I left this chore to my mom while I was away for a week. I swear I felt my heart break the night before I flew home. That was the night Barbie was killed by some jerk animal. The next night, I blame myself for, I tried and tried to get them to go into their house but they totally refused and decided they were going to sleep on our patio. I couldn't intice them with food bc my mom had already fed them. They stubbornly made the decision they were sleeping outside that night. That was the last time I ever saw them.

I raised them all as little ducklings. We spent two years of our lives together, then they're gone. Just like that.

I was so heartbroken the first few weeks and things slowly got better. We got 10 new babies and they're all doing great. I thought this would help me and Kenny (the last duck left) out, but I still have a heavy heart. Kenny was totally depressed after loosing Barbie. They spent every minute of their life together, they were inseparable. I could not bare seeing him so down. Now that the new ducks are almost full grown, he seems to be enjoying their company. He still leaves them during the day to swim with all our mallards (something he never did before).

I just wish this pain in my heart would go away. I love and miss each one of my little Angels more than words can say.

Is there anything I can/should do to help this heartache?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom