Dealing with Neighbor Dog Suggestions

There is a thing that looks like a mouse trap with a big plastic flap on the spring arm. You set that and put it on top of the can and when the dog sniffs at it, He gets a hard slap in the face by the plastic flap. It will frighten him without giving him an injury. I'm guessing that most of the mail order pet supply companies will sell those.

chances are the dog would just knock the trap off or knock the can over and the trap would go off without getting him.

I had a similar issue today. A neighbors black lab came down and was sniffing around the chickens and wasn't bothering anything so i let my dogs out just to keep an eye on the dog which they did. The dog was on my property for over 2 hours and ended up getting into my trash. i tried to catch it but it was too timid. I wanted to catch it to find out who owns it because i had something get into my trash mid day last week and i have a feeling it was the same dog. I tried running the dang thing off a few times and it kept coming back. If it wasn't actually illegal to fire a weapon where i live i would have fired the 12 guage into the ground and im sure that would have drove it off. I had someone recommend a paint ball gun, bb gun, or i was thinking a sling shot would all teach the dog a lesson without injuring it.

Roamers disappear. Get rid of the dog.Move your trash into your garage.Don't talk to the neighbor.he has been talked to.When the dog dies or diappears he will take his anger out on all those who *talked * to him. Sit down and think out what YOUR options are for dealing with the dog(without the neighbors help),and then act on it.In the least you should catch the dog and take it to the pound.

no if this dog does not get into ur trash other animals will, fix your trash can

if the dog is okay around ur chickens he might be scaring away predators

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies. I could never hurt a dog and never will if that is your suggestion please refrain from posting.

I found out it is 2 of our neighbors dogs that come over. (I think I counted 5 or 6 dogs on their proprety once) I cannot catch them because they are 2 skittish. The owners of the dogs have other dogs tied up outside with dog houses and Pomeranians running around in the house (and street occasionaly) so I know they can confine their dogs, they just don't do it well enough with these 2. This has proved to be the most irresponsible owner on the street, everyone else has their dogs in a fenced yard.

I have called Animal Control for my county and I am waiting to hear back. This is not about how good my trash can is, this is about people needing to take resposibility for the animals in their care and me trying to make an effort to help them understand. Just talking to them did not prove effective.

These dogs need to be confined. Strange dogs coming up behind me ON MY property and barking at me does not go over well with me. One did this a few weeks ago when family was over visiting. I don't take things like this lightly.

Be leery of dogs barking at you on your own property. Such behavior sometimes escalates to outright attack. My neighbors have a dog who was challenging me in my yard. When I found out that the dog had history of biting, I informed them that this was unacceptable. They asked for the solution - "Either get an invisible fence to keep the dog on your property, euthanise it or I will be forced to shoot it." They got the invisible fence, took the dog to a trainer who deals in behavioral issues and all is fine in the neighborhood.

I wish it was that simple, just tell them to fix the fence but that didn't work in our case.

Animal Control called me back, got my address and they said they will try and resolve the problem. I was pretty pleased that they said they were going to stop by. I was not expecting them to jump on it like they did. We shall see if this gets their rear in gear to keep their dogs locked up.

Thanks for your replies. I could never hurt a dog and never will if that is your suggestion please refrain from posting.

I found out it is 2 of our neighbors dogs that come over. (I think I counted 5 or 6 dogs on their proprety once) I cannot catch them because they are 2 skittish. The owners of the dogs have other dogs tied up outside with dog houses and Pomeranians running around in the house (and street occasionaly) so I know they can confine their dogs, they just don't do it well enough with these 2. This has proved to be the most irresponsible owner on the street, everyone else has their dogs in a fenced yard.

I have called Animal Control for my county and I am waiting to hear back. This is not about how good my trash can is, this is about people needing to take resposibility for the animals in their care and me trying to make an effort to help them understand. Just talking to them did not prove effective.

These dogs need to be confined. Strange dogs coming up behind me ON MY property and barking at me does not go over well with me. One did this a few weeks ago when family was over visiting. I don't take things like this lightly.
You are handling things the right way.

Back
Top Bottom