Dealing with power outages and less than week old chicks

With the storm coming up on the East Coast, I'm really worried that our power will go out, leaving my 4-5 day old babies without a heat lamp. I've seen people recommend hot water in bottles and bricks, but is there any other advice I should know about?
Have you got a large cooler? You could use that for short term and if you have to get out it will make it easier to move them. For heat you might want to think about a car battery and a headlight [car, tractor, ATV, doesn't matter.]. Jump wires from the battery to the prongs of the headlight and a cake cooling rack over the top of where they are. I am not sure how big an area the birds will be in so watch the temp.. Headlights get quite warm. Aluminum foil will work to line the walls of a box and the cover. Something else I just thought of. Most auto supply stores sell a small heater to defrost windshields. They're about $20 and work from a car battery. You might have time to check into that. Hand warmers, the battery operated ones or the packs you can get at Walmart. You didn't say how many chicks you have so I don't have a good idea on how large a space you will need to warm.

Your biggest problem is going to be water and food for yourselves and them. Pack their food into something waterproof so if you have to run it'll stay dry.

Hope everyone who is in the path of this huge storm stays as safe as possible, Please don't take chances-----get the H out if you are advised to. Prayers for all of you and your babies, whatever their species.

Do a search on a hover. That's basically a shallow inverted box a bit off the floor that they can get under. Hot air rises. If they will stay under the hover, their body heat will help keep it warm.
This is what I plan to do for my babies if we loose power. We have a generator But they can run out of fuel soI too am trying to get geared to days without electricity. Good luck everyone. AND STAY SAFE!

This is what I plan to do for my babies if we loose power. We have a generator But they can run out of fuel soI too am trying to get geared to days without electricity. Good luck everyone. AND STAY SAFE!
Lol, oh you know we will. I just got the gas for mine today but like you said, that only goes so far. Stay safe!

Stay safe. For the chicks, I would also add to have some q-tips on hand to clean any clogged butts. All the best out there!

With the storm coming up on the East Coast, I'm really worried that our power will go out, leaving my 4-5 day old babies without a heat lamp. I've seen people recommend hot water in bottles and bricks, but is there any other advice I should know about?
Curious, how did you make out during the storm? Not sure if you are back home yet with power or not. I hope you and all of yours came through with no mishaps.

Wow this was hard to read knowing that since no one posted how they made out, that they probably suffered. :( I hope everything is ok.

Curious, how did you make out during the storm? Not sure if you are back home yet with power or not. I hope you and all of yours came through with no mishaps.
We're more or less ok. The house took on a good amount of water, but there was no real damage to our house luckily. We tried to stay as long as we could, but when we started flooding, and running out of firewood, we evacuated to a friends home who still had power. Ventnor is still closed though, so we can't get back in to the city to see how the house is, and we're hearing reports of looting in the area :(

Me, my boyfriend, and our various animals are all safe and sound though! The chicks are about a week old now and are starting to get into their wings. They love trying to fly, and aren't too bad at it! I'm excited that they're big enough now that I can start giving them some treats.

We're more or less ok. The house took on a good amount of water, but there was no real damage to our house luckily. We tried to stay as long as we could, but when we started flooding, and running out of firewood, we evacuated to a friends home who still had power. Ventnor is still closed though, so we can't get back in to the city to see how the house is, and we're hearing reports of looting in the area :(

Me, my boyfriend, and our various animals are all safe and sound though! The chicks are about a week old now and are starting to get into their wings. They love trying to fly, and aren't too bad at it! I'm excited that they're big enough now that I can start giving them some treats.
Good for you!! Glad to hear you came through it all okay. Not much you can do about the looting right now, turn it into the insurance when you do get back. The important things is you're all all right!

Back
Top Bottom