Deasprately need help I am freaking out. please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so, so sorry- I would be freaking out.
sad.png
I am a newbie, so I don't know what could've happened- just wanted to tell you to hang in there! These cold temps are so brutal. Keep us posted on the situation- and please don't be hard on yourself.
hugs.gif

I posted in the other thread, but I also got a box of 26 from McMurray today. The post office didn't call by 11:30, so we called. They said they had been peeping away, and they put them on the truck for delivery, even though they were will-call. The mailman said they were a lot more active before they got on the truck. I was worried and braced myself.

Mine aren't looking gooey, but I've had a lot of loss from today's shipment, too. Right now we're at 13 alive, 13 dead. I opened our box to find them all looking dead. I put them into the pre-warmed brooder in the original box while I sorted out the dead from the live chicks. Eight were dead in the box. The live chicks all got their beaks dipped, and had access to gro gel, chick mash, and water. After about an hour, about half started to perk up. I tried to dip the beaks of the sicker looking chicks again. Some drank, some didn't. We were going to burying the dead this afternoon, but every time I go out there I find one dead. :eek:/ I think at this point we might lose a couple more. The ones that are up and moving around are eating, so I'm not so worried about them. It just STINKS to have to sit here without much that I can do to help them at this point.

Mine came from McMurray too. They were shipped on the 28th, arrived at my post office early on the 29th. I ordered 102, received 109 with 1 DOA. I had no idea what that goopy green stuff in the box was, so did not put it in with the chicks, just gave them sugar water and crumbles the first day. I lost one the next day. So far, all the rest seem fine. I have had a little pasty butt to clean up, but that is to be expected. I dosed them with yogurt and will be checking on them in a few minutes before I go to bed. I think it makes all the difference how the post office handles them.

We are in the path of a blizzard and nasty wind chills the next day or two. My brooder is in the garage with only 1 small space heater (and heat lamps of course) I fully expect more losses, but maybe not.

28261_tt_chicks_2.jpg

They don't mention it, but I think they're putting gro-gel in the shipping boxes at McMurray. That should help with the viability of the animals, but it won't make a difference if they get too chilled. I really didn't expect this much of an issue because we're in Northern CA, and it is usually pretty mild.

Aww this really sucks. We're at 8 that look like they'll make it, 1 on the way out, the other 17 dead. Every time we go out there, one is dead. I'm afraid we'll just barely have the amount of chicks we really needed, which doesn't leave much room for any later losses.

ARose4Heaven - glad your little chickies are doing pretty well! They probably did a little better with that many in the box.

Perhaps there is a feed store near you that sells chicks so you will have the amount you wanted. I am so sorry for your losses. Even if they do offer to replace the chicks, I certainly would ask to wait until weather is improved!

I hope the ones you have remaining do well. Hang in there!

Brattish Taz, ah yes, I remember the "slow warming'' etc. I remember the process was named after the vet that preached it. I think his name was Mosier or something like. He said cold,in this case puppies, couldn't digest food because their digestive processes were "paralyzed". And to use sugar water because that was absorbed into their blood stream and would give energy. I remember alot of dog people used to carry the sick or weak puppies in their apron pockets, or hold them against their body so they would warm slowly. Nowadays we have some chicken ladies warming them in their bras.

Not that I'd wish this on anything, but I'd rather have mammals in this situation. It's easier to stimulate them and to syringe feed if needed. Luckily my husband will get the first peek at them in the morning so that he can remove any that expired overnight. I just wish there was more we could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom