Death before hatch...can someone advice?

I have found that the information available from the Poultry Science department of Mississippi State University is extremely helpful in regard to hatching chicks etc.
smile.png

Perhaps this will also be of help to you:

http://search.ur.msstate.edu/cgi-bi...w.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/trouble.htm&fm=off

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Thanks walkswithdog. This is my second time hatching chickens. I usually incubate quails and I don't have problems with them so much.

Thanks for the link junkmanme. It looks really good and informative. I will have to print out a copy and keep.

Thanks very much to all. We can keep posting and I will update this post about how the chicks are doing with some pics.

I hatched my hens first egg it was about half the size of a large store bought egg. Maybe smaller. i was scared at first that my chick was going to die because of the egg size. It pipped on day 19 and didnt hatch until late day 20.

I think that this may have been a little inexpeirience. A chick can take 24-48 hours to hatch. I think you may have jumped the gun on interveining. It may seem like they are haveing a hard time, when they are actually moving into a different position. Also they could have been sleeping. It takes them energy to hatch. If they had not yet pipped then they could possibley jus be late hatchers. It can take them a few days past the hatch date to actually pip. But you should have waited a little longer. And also when you help a chick during hatch it could harm them more than help them. They have to have the strength from hatching to survive. And when you do need to help you do not tek them out of the egg and all you should help them to a certain point and then leave them alone.

I had 8 that died in the egg without piping but the membrane was broken through. I was very sure that they are due to hatch therefore I intervene as the temperature control of my incubator is spot on as I always use it for quail and they always hatch on the day I mark it on the calendar. I know I am not suppose to but I didn't want to lose them as it cost me quite a bit to buy eggs here for hatching. I only cracked the top so that they can breath and they do the rest themselves.

I wasn't impatient...i just didn't want them to die. It is very sad to see dead chicks
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom