Deathlayers

Can't seem to find out much information on the deathlayer chicks. They are very sensitive to cold as chicks and it is pretty expensive to find out this info. No one has any advice on what is best to hatch and raise them.. I recently purchased some chicks. they need it warmer than my other chicks do constantly. they have sugar in water and vitamins. were eating and drinking, no diarrhea, and then droopy wings for a couple days, quit drinking and lay down and die. outside temp went down from 98-100 degrees to 61, but they still had heat to set on a light which burned out one night. Lost 3rd one this morning. 3 left. doubt they will make it at this rate. I won't buy anymore. I have never had chicks that need as much as they seem too. Heat wise. and no one has info to go by on what to do. It seems that folks have trouble with them hatching and or growing up. I guess I can see why there are so few of those birds left.. They are beautiful though. I like Beauty, but also need production.
I am sorry about your losses. I raised mine with no special treatment. I raised them with turkeys and pheasants , all together and they are now outdoors , with a mixed flock and no heat. I had no losses. I’d consider the source. The only thing I did special was have them vaccinated at the hatchery.

My Deathlayers are from Greenfire hatchery. They where hatched March 17. They have been thriving outside, in Pa , with a mixed fliock. I did use medicated food the first month that I turned them out.

My Deathlayers are from Greenfire hatchery. They where hatched March 17. They have been thriving outside, in Pa , with a mixed fliock. I did use medicated food the first month that I turned them out.
That's interesting. these have also been on medicated feed. They eat and drink. 5th died today. there was some green stool today on the papers. no green stools before. 1 left with a little EE chick. so far he is doing better than all of them. Glad to hear yours have done well. congrats on that... Wish you the best in raising more.

That's interesting. these have also been on medicated feed. They eat and drink. 5th died today. there was some green stool today on the papers. no green stools before. 1 left with a little EE chick. so far he is doing better than all of them. Glad to hear yours have done well. congrats on that... Wish you the best in raising more.
I have only used medicated feed , when they where older and transferring to outside living

I recommend anyone else researching this breed to join the Facebook group for them. It doesn't seem to be widely discussed elsewhere, but this breed (Silvers in particular) is extremely prone to leg issues that are nearly always fatal (I would say always but maybe there's an exception that I haven't heard). Many start with knees turned outward, some with total paralysis of one or both legs...

I haven't heard of any vitamins or treatments being successful yet (but would welcome positive stories). Some think it's a neurological issue... personally I think it's something in the tendons, but wasn't able to pop anything back in on my poor little rooster.

I have one of his sisters in isolation now with wobbly knees, a stuck egg (?) and who knows what else. They were difficult, demanding chicks compared to my Bresse and Wyandottes, and seem susceptible to every passing problem. This is going to get worse IMO because everyone is selling eggs and chicks the moment their birds start laying. I've seen people lose most of their clutch to seizures and leg problems then go on to breed the survivors. IMO... stay far away from these beautiful, sweet birds until something changes. It's very sad.
I didn't realize the leg issues. I just got a trio 2 weeks ago. The rooster and one hen have narled toes and one makes a 90° angle. Some toes are twisted or missing toenails. But their spurs look healthy and long. The rooster limps and I'm concerned he won't be able to keep his balance to mate.
Another concern is that the hens stopped laying eggs right after I got them. I have them in a coop by themselves. I had to teach them how to use a ramp and I don't think they were eating from a no waste feeder or using water nipples. I had to put everything into bowls for them. They don't even roost on bars. I even put bars on coop floor and they won't touch them. They just cuddle up in a nesting box.
IMG_20220504_202710160.jpg

They are docile and when a chick managed to find himself in with them 2 days in a row, they didn't peck at him or bother him at all.
IMG_20220424_155126289.jpg

Does anyone have suggestions for their egg laying, mating, or feet?
Or should I just keep the healthy one and get some others that have healthy feet?

I didn't realize the leg issues. I just got a trio 2 weeks ago. The rooster and one hen have narled toes and one makes a 90° angle. Some toes are twisted or missing toenails. But their spurs look healthy and long. The rooster limps and I'm concerned he won't be able to keep his balance to mate.
Another concern is that the hens stopped laying eggs right after I got them. I have them in a coop by themselves. I had to teach them how to use a ramp and I don't think they were eating from a no waste feeder or using water nipples. I had to put everything into bowls for them. They don't even roost on bars. I even put bars on coop floor and they won't touch them. They just cuddle up in a nesting box.View attachment 3096030
They are docile and when a chick managed to find himself in with them 2 days in a row, they didn't peck at him or bother him at all.View attachment 3096032
Does anyone have suggestions for their egg laying, mating, or feet?
Or should I just keep the healthy one and get some others that have healthy feet?
I think Deathlayers are beautiful birds. But have been the hardest to raise for me and lost all 6 by 2 weeks of age, no matter what I did. I had the golden ones. Both colors are just beautiful.. I followed the instructions they gave me with the chicks, but to no avail. kind of an expensive lesson. I won't buy anymore. I hope the best for those of you that do decide to get and raise some. If you have great luck, please post on what you did with yours and any problems you may encounter and remedies if you discovered any. Thank you to those that have posted already.

I have started raising silver Deathlayers. I was very excited for this breed. But after they hit 5 months old they started dying on me for no apparent reason. They just seem to get weak overnight and lay down till they are gone. I have lost 3 of my 6 this way already. I have at least 20 other chickens of various breeds that all seem to be fine. What is it with this breed?
These birds are so inbred it causes genetic issues because they barely saved them from extinction. One lady said it took 40 chicks to get 6or8 full grown healthy Bird. That's not good.

Back
Top Bottom