Debate Over Culling Our Pekin

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
After a turtle attack on my Pekin several weeks ago, I caught him last week and treated his wounds. His foot seemed shredded, and was scabbed over... but his joints seemed to bend with out him fussing. Today I checked his wounds and after some scabbing has cleared up, I have noticed broken bones pretruding through his toes where the scabs once were. They have not healed and they are outside the foot and not inside.

My friend who happens to be a vet tech told me at this point so long after the damage it will be beyond repair.

My husband wants to release him as it... but I do not see this as healing. He's eating less and less since he's been locked in the duck house. I know for sure he's lost weight. I'm sure he's in pain and I am concerned about infection. I do not want him to suffer and I think we need to cull him for his own peace.

I wanted people's opinions on whether this is something we can try to fix well enough he can live (without pain) or should we just give him peace?

hit.gif

That's a tough one, I can't help you decide but I can relate, going through the same with a turkey poult. I wish you the best.
Maybe a pic can help people give you advice on how to fix it.

I have had chickens with one leg before when a racoon tried to pull him through the fence. I think a duck would have a hard time swimming with one leg though
tongue.png

Last edited:
Everyone will have different opinions but I would monitor him by weighing him over the course of a week, do what you can for him and if he is losing weight then I would cull him.

I am sure compound fractures on the foot hurt like the devil. I am not sure a one legged duck would survive well. they use their feet for swimming as well as walking...it might make him a "sitting duck" for the turtles and predators.

Good luck in your decision.

Quote:
I don't know what kind of enclosure you have but I had a one legged duck that did just fine. She learned how to swim with one leg and hopped around great!

My neighbor had a goose that got stepped on by a cow and got a compound fracture on her leg. He splinted it and bound her leg. Her foot healed back up crooked but it did heal and she lived for may more years.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.. poor duck!

Again though, it is healing with the broken bones OUTSIDE the skin. Exposed bones I have heard are extremely dangerous, and he may already have an infection.

I am so concerned... but he has gotten soooooooooooo light in weight
sad.png

He is NOT a confined duck (he is hurt so he is confined now) he free ranges with the others.

You have to do whats best for the duck and as much as I hate to say it, it sounds like in this case it might be to cull him.
I know ducks can live with one leg,but those are usually kept in a pen, not free ranged.

Back
Top Bottom