Debating about Breeds to order in Spring for egg laying?

eaemnc

Songster
12 Years
Oct 10, 2007
I'm still trying to get the best egg layers breed. The list I have for Spring 2008 ordering is 16 Red Stars, 4 Ameraucanas, and 2 of each RIR, New Hampshire Red, and 2 Buff Orpingtons.
My question is for the last 3 I'm looking for broody hens for sitting eggs the following spring. I wasn't sure if I should even deal with that or use an incubator, or both just for the experience?
The info. I got said that the NHR was more for meat than eggs, the RIR is better for eggs than meat but the NHR was more broody as the RIR isn't broody at all.
Should I even get Orpingtons if New Hampshires are broody or do NHR's even have those characteristics any more?
I know the Orpingtons will be picked on most and I don't want to see that although I realize it's the natural pecking order. (shrug)
My meat birds will be the ultimate in meat birds (Freedom Rangers) I think I'll try a few of each: Red, Gray and a couple black.
I know I have lots of questions but the more I read and learn the better I will be at this and ready for Spring 2008.
Time moves so fast and Spring will be here before I know it. Plus I'll need to have plans ready for hubby as I'll be busy with the new baby come April or when ever he or she is born and hubby and my older boys will be building Chicken Tractors, Brooders and completing the coop.

Thanks so much to you all,

Ann
New Ohio Chicken Owner come Spring 2008

Quote:
Go online and order a catalogue from Murrey McMurray, it is a very nice one that shows all the breed they sell plus has a decription of each breed like how big they get, what color eggs, which one is best for colder climates. Best of luck

Your Red Stars and your RIR's will be your best layers. Orpingtons are nice fat happy friendly hens, supposed to be good broodys I'd use one of them as your broody if they are willing. Mom says that a good broody is worth more than a good layer. (she's old)
wink.png
Orpington's aren't great layers, they are good, but not nearly as good as the others. That's why I'd let them brood, and keep the others laying.

I will say this , the best egg layers I have every had were Turkens. They never missed a day and layed xrtra large to jumbo brown eggs, put my production reds to shame. I just couldnt stand looking at them .

Ha, my Indian Runner Ducks were my best layers ever so far, other then the chickens from way back in my days Lol

I love my Buff orps. Mine havent started laying but my nieghbor has some of them to and hers layed a ton of eggs. And my nieghbor did complain about broody buff orps. Looks like you already have a good list I would stick to all of the above and then 9 or 10 more.

I have two Buff Orpingtons, both almost two years old and just going through their first real molt. They lay 5-6 and sometimes 7 eggs per week, or did, until the worst part of the molt, which doesn't count anyway. Still, they haven't stopped completely. I still get at least 4 eggs a week from the girl who is going through her molt more severely than the other one. One has gone broody twice in her life, one has never gone broody. I think they lay almost as well as my Rhode Island Reds. Most hatchery birds are bred for egglaying rather than breed conformation these days, although my two Buffs are not bad examples of the breed. My Wyandottes rarely miss a beat, either. One stopped for two weeks while she went through a hard, fast molt and started right back again.

Oooh, Cynthia, that's great that your BOs lay almost as well as RIRs!! That was one of my other questions this morning. Hazel (RIR that is going to live with Angie) has missed only 1 day since she started laying 2 weeks ago, and we love that.... I had read on the Henderson breed chart that Buff Orpingtons only laid 3 eggs/week compared with Rhode Island Reds' 6 per week, so I was bummed about that. So that is great to hear.

Back
Top Bottom