Debating craigslist roos and etiquette

We talked about this as well. What if they eat treated grass or have been vaccinated or on antibiotics? That's certainly worth knowing, because our guy and gals are raised pretty naturally. I think over time we are going to have to set some standards of sorts with ourselves and judge living conditions a little. The really sad reality is that even a rooster from what we would consider bad backyard conditions probably is twice as healthy as any factory bird. Which blows my mind.i dont think we would eat a rooster coming from filthy backyard conditions and it makes me feel a little strange about what i've been eating all these years.
Then the flock of birds I watched in the barnyard of a Mennonite harness maker could not be counted among the ranks of the happy, healthy, and contented chickens.

One of the harness maker's other customers had his horse & buggy tied to a hitching post beside the barnyard gate and the cock-of-the-walk with all his lady friends were gathered in the shade of the horse's hindquarters enjoying what to chickens is the breakfast of champions. I'm talking about all natural dark green horse nuggets.

Are you suggesting that you would not eat a chicken or even a chicken's egg produced by a hen eating all natural, smoking fresh, dark green horse nuggets? It kind of makes me wonder about what else is in Dr. Zeus's green eggs and ham.

Those chickens sound like they have it made!!! They certainky sound healthy hapoy and content. And full!

I dont think i would have any issue with the chickens eating horse poop haha! That's manure! Our chickens scratch through our compost, and their own droppings are in that pile. No, the conditions i would be scared about are people who have garbage everywhere, overcrowding, lethargic, dirty birds. Places with lots of shade and no sun and swampy, muddy yards. I dont even think i am totally opposed to vaccinations. We dont use them, but again, what is happening in a backyard flock is NOTHING compared to a factory. I'm definitely not an all or nothing kind of gal. I believe in gray area. But not in mud areas.

AND NOT IN CHICKEN INSTRAGRAM ACCOUNTS!!! Ha!

ot.

Let's hope everyone on craigslist is as reasonable as you all.
gig.gif

We talked about this as well. What if they eat treated grass or have been vaccinated or on antibiotics? That's certainly worth knowing, because our guy and gals are raised pretty naturally. I think over time we are going to have to set some standards of sorts with ourselves and judge living conditions a little. The really sad reality is that even a rooster from what we would consider bad backyard conditions probably is twice as healthy as any factory bird. Which blows my mind.i dont think we would eat a rooster coming from filthy backyard conditions and it makes me feel a little strange about what i've been eating all these years.
I tend to disagree with this - not with the sentiment because I certainly do agree in principle, but facts sometimes have to take precedence. There's a family in our area with chickens. Lots of people used to buy eggs from her. Once my girls started laying I gave away eggs, telling people that as the girls got older and their eggs were larger and more consistent in size the price would be "X". One gentleman came buy to get a dozen eggs, and commented that it was nice to have the eggs washed first for a change. Since I was on the town council and he was a town employee I took him back to see our setup. As we were talking, one of the girls stood up off the nest and gave her proud egg song. I reached in under her, pulled out the egg, and said, "See, I don't wash them first. This is how I get them." After that I had a customer for life, and he's referred lots of folks to me.

I have constantly had comments on how healthy my birds are, and even living smack dab in town people smile when they drive or walk by and see them outside enjoying the sunshine, fresh air, and doing a little nibbling on what they find. By contrast, her birds are kept in weather-worn, misshapen OSB shelters that are little more than dingy boxes. They aren't living, they're existing but she stays just on this side of "turn her behind in". The pens are basically mud. I'd 10 times rather buy a factory bird than anything that might come out of that place. But I'd 100 times rather buy a bird from a place like mine that either hers or a factory.

Aaand, I forgot the question......
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom