Pics
Has anyone culled a beautiful hen before?

I've had it with an older black frizzle silkie that I removed from the breeding pen because I saw her picking on Marsha. Marsha wasn't broody, she was hiding in the coop and I didn't pick up on this until I saw it in action.

Then, an hour later, she crawls under the temp pen where the 7 two-month-olds are and terrorizes them so they're all hiding in their hutch. I removed her from there. A few minutes later, I'm sitting on the deck steps looking over these cuckoos and suddenly she's on top of one of the hens hanging onto her neck so tight the hen flips over and she's not letting go. I'm screaming but she's not stopping. Two roosters came up and started pulling her off but she wouldn't let go. I got up and kicked her off, not hard, and she ran off with a mouth of feathers. The hen was stunned and wouldn't move. I picked her up and she screamed horribly. She calmed down once she realized it was me. She seems okay now but this ticks me off. These are two-month-old and four-month-old chicks she's seeking out to attack.

I went out a few minutes later with my phone this time and she's pacing the temp coop wanting back in there.

mean hen.JPEG

WTF got into her?

I've have a couple of hens that are sort of bullies but that's only if others get in their way of the food. They don't seek out to beat any other chickens up like this biotch.

If she stays pacing, that's fine, but if she comes out where the rest of the chickens are, she's like a one-hen army! I would hate to have to cull her, but I also cannot put up with this. She's about 4-5 years old so maybe getting old and cranky or something as she never used to be like this.

Last edited:
But alas, I only have a chocolate hen, no chocolate roosters.

I had 10 chicks that hatched yesterday, and someone just came to buy 6 of them. I figured I'd grow out the other four, but she wound up buying them all.

When those "shipped eggs" I bought (she's shipping Monday) get here next week, I'll set some of my own with them. Then I'll keep a couple of chocolates and maybe a prospective splash or mauve out of that bunch and they can grow out with the others.
I still have time to grow them out before winter and can sell them if they turn out not what I wanted. I'd keep both a chocolate pullet and cockerel once sex is determined though, and probably a splash of any sex.

Here's what I was thinking of one possibility of penning up in a few months or next February:

Pen 1:
Roosters:

1 mottled roo (counts as black for the paint). (sex pending)

Hens:
1 NN white paint hen - the little princess.
1 mottled hen (sex pending)
1 black hen
1 buff frizzle hen - see below. She turned out awesome! (4 mos old.)

View attachment 3827656

Pen 2:
Roosters:

1 B&W frizzle rooster (my most beautiful).
1 "normal" cuckoo rooster

Hens:
3 cuckoo hens
1 chocolate hen
1 splash hen (Marsha, in my avatar)
1 or 2 more hens

I'm just brainstorming future plans with these birds, so I can consider which ones to get rid of. Toss out ideas if you have any, keeping in mind the frizzle roo and frizzle hen have to be separate.
Ooh you could name the B/W the MB (the Most Beautiful! )

Holy hell, has anyone culled a beautiful hen before?

I've had it with an older black frizzle silkie that I removed from the breeding pen because I saw her picking on Marsha. Marsha wasn't broody, she was hiding in the coop and I didn't pick up on this until I saw it in action.

Then, an hour later, she crawls under the temp pen where the 7 two-month-olds are and terrorizes them so they're all hiding in their hutch. I removed her from there. A few minutes later, I'm sitting on the deck steps looking over these cuckoos and suddenly she's on top of one of the hens hanging onto her neck so tight the hen flips over and she's not letting go. I'm screaming but she's not stopping. Two roosters came up and started pulling her off but she wouldn't let go. I got up and kicked her off, not hard, and she ran off with a mouth of feathers. The hen was stunned and wouldn't move. I picked her up and she screamed horribly. She calmed down once she realized it was me. She seems okay now but this ticks me off. These are two-month-old and four-month-old chicks she's seeking out to attack.

I went out a few minutes later with my phone this time and she's pacing the temp coop wanting back in there.

View attachment 3827744

WTF got into her?

I've have a couple of hens that are sort of bullies but that's only if others get in their way of the food. They don't seek out to beat any other chickens up like this biotch.

If she stays pacing, that's fine, but if she comes out where the rest of the chickens are, she's like a one-hen army! I would hate to have to cull her, but I also cannot put up with this. She's about 4-5 years old so maybe getting old and cranky or something as she never used to be like this.
Oh my goodness!

No, I haven't culled a pretty one, but I did put a mean pullet in insulation for 3 days because she was terrorizing everyone.

Do you think she's going to go broody and is just having a raging hormone issue?

Oh my goodness!

No, I haven't culled a pretty one, but I did put a mean pullet in insulation for 3 days because she was terrorizing everyone.

Do you think she's going to go broody and is just having a raging hormone issue?
She just was broody a few days ago, as was a different black one and Marsha, so all three were in the broody jail. I never saw anything wrong in there when I was around.

Two days later, the two black ones broke, so they went back to the breeding pen. Marsha was in the broody jail by herself for a couple of days longer. Storms were coming so I put Marsha in the breeding pen as it's covered. The next day Marsha's sitting in the breeding pen's hutch perching, not in a nest, so I think she's broke and wonder why she's just sitting in there. I made her go out into the pen and that's when I saw psycho hen tear into Marsha. I ran in and got the psycho out of there. Marsha stayed out in the pen the rest of the day, so that was it!

This biotch just became suspect #1 for the death of my chocolate hen and the other little one.

Holy hell, has anyone culled a beautiful hen before?

View attachment 3827744

WTF got into her?

Wow that’s a grumpy hen 😳

Back
Top Bottom