Debeaked Chick and Duck w/ broken wing

peeboo

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 9, 2008
fort bragg nc
Unbelievable,
got a call from a friend who knew someone who took a duckling and chick home from the fair...she is 30 years old andlives in a 1 bedroom apt. she kept both the chick and duck in a small parakeet cage. the duck and hen did not leave that cage for 8 weeks. she wanted to dump them on the side of the road. the hen was debeaked and plucked clean by the duck. the duck had a broken wind due to the fact that the duck and hen could not even turn around in the cage. so i heard from a friend that this was going to happen so i told her to tell them to give them to me. and i am already over run with hens. they met me at a fast food joint and gave me duck and hen in a poop covered parakeet sized cage. the duck is almost full grown size by the way, when i got them home i could hardly fit duck out of the cage door. the hen was COVERED in feces from the duck. i picked her up and her feathers crunched! i imediately put duck in the back which turned my bath green! then i did the hen. it was so so gross. now i have to somehow figure out how to give these poor animals a new good life. i am assuming i have to give the debeaked hen specialized care and the duck withthe broken wing, doesn't seem to mind it. it just bent out and up. but not painful to the touch from what i can tell. the hen needs to grow some feathers before i can put her out with my other girls. i am also afraid that my hens will pick on her and cause even more damage. does anyone have any advice or suggestions on the specialized care these animals may need?

It sounds like the duck has angel wing. Too much protien while growing up. I don't think you have to do anything different with the debeaked hen. Except maybe keeping the feeders fuller.

DON'T introduce her yet; you have no way of knowing if she carries any diseases. You should keep her separate for at least 3 weeks.

What are the breeds, do you know? Are they of good weight? Poor things - bless you for taking them in!

I have 3 brahma's 2 silkies and 4 sex links. this looks to be a 8 wk old rir. i know my silkies were my first so they are the bosses. they gang up on my poor silkie sometimes. i'll keep rir in house until adequate weight and feathers are put on but i'm still worried. and i have no idea how to integrate the duck and have him stay around my house. any suggestions?

picture update. poor babies

8664_new_babies_052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom