1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Debeaked pullets from Meyer Hatcherey

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shoesky, Aug 27, 2011.

1. shoesky

shoesky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Belleville
    We have had a rash of losses over the past few weeks from the local coyotes. Was looking to pick up some started pullets from Meyer to replenish the flock. Does anyone have any experience with the started pullets that Meyer sells? How severe is their beak trimming? Could anyone post a photo or two for us to see. Our ladies usually free range for 4-6 hrs a day. Will this hamper them when out grazing? Thanks for any future responses. Should likely say this also, yes the ladies will be locked up for a few weeks or until Wiley is dispatched. And also will say have looked around locally and found nothing to be had right now! Meyer is only about 2.5 hrs from us. Thanks again.

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Do they not have any that aren't debeaked? If you're letting them free range and not making them live in crowded conditions I would not buy debeaked.

3. shoesky

Jul 10, 2010
    Belleville
    Not at the age we are looking for. All of their older birds come with "trimmed beaks". We always purchase our chicks from them but never any older ones.

4. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I have a debeaked hen...not sure if it's from hatchery. She doesn't seem to have any trouble, but I feel bad for her (although she is my biggest offender when it comes to feather plucking...she can do damage so I'm not sure why hatcheries think this helps). I'm not sure about craigslist in your area, but there are constant posts here in MA from people selling established flocks. Personally I would check there before buying a flock of debeaked girls.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Is there a difference between de-beaked and trimmed? Can you ask them?

6. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    ideal hatchery is where i would buy them [​IMG]

7. Cakela

Cakela Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have four debeaked hens from a feed store. They all seem to do fine and were cut really far down. I feel bad for them, but they eat normally and everything.

8. shoesky

Jul 10, 2010
    Belleville
    try to bump this up to the top one last time. can anyone help? anyone gotten older birds from meyer?

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    All I can offer is that the difference between debeaked and trimmed is this: A debeaked chicken has had it's beak cut back into the "quick" and will never be able to grow a full beak. A trimmed beak is only shortened a bit, like a toenail. This chicken will grow it's full beak back.

I've never gotten any chickens from Meyer.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Thank you. I thought maybe that but wasn't sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by