"Debeaked" rooster from predator attack

ChickenPox

Songster
8 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Middle GA
We lost two girls to a predator that was getting into the coop and we couldn't figure out how. About 2 weeks apart. A few days after the last bird was killed, I check the coop and my rooster's face was TORN UP. He was bloody, just on his face. I saw where the struggle had occurred, and it actually led me to the place where the predator (I think possum, we caught it later) was getting in and I was able to reinforce it. Bless my Kermit boy, he defended his flock (two other roosters oblivious) and prevented a third death. But in the process his beak got messed up.

I could tell that it was sitting back a little bit farther than usual when I found him. I assumed his jaw was broken or something since I separated since the girls were pecking at the blood dripping. He healed up and I put him back in (which insantly knocked him down to bottom roo.)

It's been about a month and I noticed that his top beak has broken almost all the way off! He has lost weight, but he still acts normal and eats, although not off the ground. He eats from a deeper feeder, kinda like our cross beak girl. He is a lot calmer after the attack, and always comes up and eats from the bucket when I take it in there, I guess because it's easier for him.

I need to get a pic. Does this have any chance of growing back? Is it terribly painful to him? It doesn't look like a "debeaking" that the battery birds have......more like a dogs toe nail that has been pulled out. Almost looks like a "quick" is left there.

I feel awful for my boy, but he seems to be getting around ok. And although he IS thinner, he's not emaciated.

My condolences on the loss of your girls. If beak has broken down that far then it probably may never grow back. Beak injuries are extremely painful while healing,after they have healed pain is gone.

Use deep dishes for him and try adding water to feed(resembles oatmeal) or ferment feed,this will make it easier for him to eat. If drinking is a problem then look into poultry nipples or try a small animal water bottle.

Place grit in a deep dish if he is not able to pick it up off ground.

Last treat him like a king,he saved your other birds and deserves a long/healthy/happy life. He is an excellent rooster!

Thanks for the reply! I will try to get a picture tonight. He was the first bird to try and flog me, so I was angry with him at first. But since his attack, he has been so sweet and I think he knew I was helping him. He is the bottom of the three (top dog got me good the other day and may be headed for the pot) but he is still VERY aware of what I do and if I pet or pick up a lady, he is always right there, watching. I think he knows I am "food lady" now, at the very least. LOL! I sure hope he isn't in any more pain, and that we can learn to manage his defect.

Silly question......but do you think he might be able to "surf" without his beak?

Back
Top Bottom