DEbeaked?? What to feed??

Orpygal

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Eastern Panhandle WV
Our local feed store recently had RSL pullets to order. My daughter ordered a dozen to start her FFA project. They arrived today and their beaks look like the one below. Is that debeaked or just a serious trim? Will they grow back? Are pellets going to be a problem for them?
I'm a little disheartened....guess I've learned Buyer Beware and will ask questions b4 ordering chickens from anyone other than a BYC'er.

40223_beak.jpg

This looks like a permanent debeaking, do not expect it to grow back. Feed them pellets, crumbles, mash - there will be no problem. They will not be able to clean all the edible parts off something like a complicated pork shoulder roast bone but that would be about the limit of their ability.

This is a sign that these birds were raised to commercial specifications. If that is the case the bonus is that they will have probably received all their vaccinations, administered by professionals.

Expect them to live a good long time and produce like machines. You will enjoy them very much.

You might also expect them to be fairly laid back. I've had commercial birds, broilers and layers, and they were just as laid back as could be, AND they appreciated every little thing.

And Mr. Grassbaugh is right about the vaccinations. That's quite a bonus!

I've got 2 hens who had their beaks lazored..but one has it almost even on both top and bottom, the other has the top shorter than the bottom. Does this sound like professional job? I got them from a lady on Craigslist as hens and she said they were lazored, so that's as much as I know.
They are my sweetest ones, the other 3 are more skittish.

Last edited:
I also have 7 hens with mangled beaks... they are the sweetest, most docile ones in the pack of 14, by far. They're almost like dogs, LOL!

They are about 1.5 years old and lay like crazy!

They'll be fine, just make sure their feeder has some depth of feed in it. Reason being, the ones with the top beak shorter than the bottom (which is the way they *intend* to debeak chickens, but some individuals will get put in the machine a little cockeyed so some iwll end up like the one you've pictured) will have trouble picking up very small particles lying in a single layer on a hard surface, e.g a thin scattering of crumbles in a large dish.

My first 3 ISA browns were debeaked, had no evident problem with it; and the 3 red stars that my son ordered to 'replace' them arrived debeaked as well <grrrr>, but are following in their predecessors' steps of it not having any effect other than they look funny.

(I am still waaay against debeaking and the conditions that 'necessitate' it, btw)

So, yours will be fine as long as you feed them in a normal way, as opposed to like tossing handfuls of crumbles on a concrete walkway or something
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Yep, though I'd go talk to the people at the feed store and express your unhappiness at the debeaking. Of course they'll say they 'thought you knew' and 'that's how they always come' though it's not -quite- true because they can order them NOT debeaked. Many hatcheries are getting away from doing it even in pullets, so it's possible to get intact pullets too.

Like I said, if you let them know you are less than thrilled, and others do too, they'll at the very least be more clear about the whole thing in the future.

They are very sweet chickens. I thought maybe it was just the all the excitement/movement but hopefully they will remain this way.
I'm glad to hear eating pellets should work for them. I have one big long feeder but w/I'd planned on getting another but I might just get 3 smaller ones so the food will be deeper.

I have an 'extra' roo that has just been laying low since he's matured but now he has taken over the new hens. My main roo doesn't seem to care so everyone seems happy....for now.
I will be stopping into the feedstore tomorrow to let them know how I feel and see if I can't get them to agree to make the debeaking known next time they order. I can't imagine I'm the only one who was surprised!
Thanks for the info-
angel

Quote:
This is explains ALOT, I was wondering why my odd beaked girl was sooo much thinner than the other. I just recently got her this way, so now I know what to do to help her out, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom