Debeaking-Why??

i hope i never have to ,

saphire is the one i think is growing back as she seems able to eat anything now including of the floor ( that or practice makes perfect!)

but poor ruby seems to be all over the show her beak looks a little lobsided and has been trimmed onthe top making it difficult for her to eat and only one of her waddles has grown and her neck is a litle scuewiff (SP too tired to think!)

she loves to eat of the hand or the deap pans but not of the floor

Can the ever grow back the beak? I understand the idea for a large commertial aplication, but never for small home ones.

Quote:
no the beaks never grow back... they are cut so short that they will bleed.... and damage the tissue

when they are de-beaking a chicken the blades and super sharp and HOT.. so when they slice into the beak the beak is not only cut but the remaining stub is cauterized at the same time reducing bleeding... if the blades are not hot enough you will see the chicks bleed.... de-beaking is usually done within the first week after hatching

My first hatchery hen came that way. I guess I didn't check the right box. Seeing her the first time was a horror to me.
The other posters are right. Have a deep feeder and deep waterer, and she'll be fine.

I'd like to add that my debeaked, Clarice, was fat, and always well groomed. She was alpha hen and never had to peck anyone to get there. She did occassionally catch a bug or a piece of grass. She laid about 350 eggs a year, the first one was on a Christmas Day. She was happy, and we never told her she was different. She even went broody and hatched 2 chicks, was a mommy. She was a blessing.

i did not know they did not grow back i thought it would
sad.png

im still learning so i should have reallised .

i have pictures of mine but not upclose asthey arenotsureof the camera phonejust yet, in the picturesi have they look normal .

i took a look at maymays picture and they are not as bad as that seems like mine have grown though - must be wishfull thinking then .
101583_2011-10-15_122717.jpg

this one i think is saphire she is very out going and doesnt seem to care about anything besides enjoying herself
smile.png

awwww she is beautiful! now that she is in your hands, she will be fine. have no worries. Give lots of luv and hand treats! MayMay loves cherry tomaotes. Cut them in half and watch her go. grapes as well, cut in half. She seems to have no problems getting those up off the ground. MiniMarshmallows are a favorite too. Not like I spoil mine at all...
roll.png

Been having computer problems, unable to post pics..ugh. Thank All of you for your advice!! She is the sweetest hen I've ever had. Very talkative and happy to be held. 

Back
Top Bottom