debeaking?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by FarmerGilland, Jun 3, 2011.

1. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    I was told that I have to debeak the poults? Is this right, if so how do I do that?[​IMG]

2. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    Only if you plan on keeping them in an overcrowded monotonous environment in which there is nothing to do but pick on the next bored and frustrated bird... like they do in conventional meat turkey production facilities.

3. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    I doubt you'll find anyone here who debeaks their birds. Like Pampered Hen said, it's something they do in commercial poultry houses where they concentrate and confine the birds. It's a practice that prevents the birds from damaging each other when those conditions lead them to peck and cannibalize each other. In factory farms, they also remove snoods.

However, it's been my experience that birds raised in less-intensive ways (i.e.: in the backyard) aren't prone to that kind of behavior. If you asked them, by birds would probably say they like having their beaks: they use them for activities like eating bugs and pecking through the grass. Factory farms have no time for such silly, foolish, non-productive behavior.

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I agree, unless you're running a hatchery, there is no reason to debeak any bird. However, some people feel that removing the snood (the dangly thing off the top of the beak) is beneficial to keep the toms from injuring each other. I don't see a reason for that either if you only have small backyard flock.

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    X4

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to till I could move to a larger tween coop. the extra space stopped the picking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by