December 2022 hatch-a-long

We have veinies!!!! Now to sit back and let them do their thing, I’m so excited. So far all I’ve checked are viable

3A549D63-F5D0-451F-B343-BD18E758AACA.jpeg

13 left for day 16-17, I am heating up my hatching incubator I am moving my eggs to tomorrow for lock down. It is still air foam farm innovators. I have distilled water in the water troughs after dry hatching first 18 days. I also have pennies before 1982 in water for the zinc. I placed the curve of the wire flooring so the curve is down, and the eggs will not roll towards the walls of the incubator.
inf.PNG

I also put down rope for the eggs to rest while hatching, and the hatched chicks cannot play soccer with the unhatched. (Sample eggs on fish stringer rope works great.)
incubator.PNG

When adding the water to the troughs, take the floor wire out first, water clings to the wire floor and you don't want eggs to touch wet.

Last edited:
I did pre-lockdown preps for my 13 eggs. Today is day 16-17, day 18 tomorrow I will mark my eggs air cell slope, and move my eggs to the hatching incubator. I candled today so I could see who will be ready to go into the hatching incubator tomorrow, and who may take a day or so longer and stay in the first incubator, thank goodness I have 2 running. (One wet-hatching, one dry incubating.)

After the candle I have 7 that are ready to go now, I still will put them in tomorrow. All dark, nice slope and no clear spots showing other than air cell.
IMG_2747.JPG

Really look at the line from the air cell to the dark. If no clear, showing, it is ready for lockdown. (Pic above is day 18.)
Pic below is day 16-17 almost there, but see the clear near the air cell, and no slope.
55a.PNG

Also candle pointed end of the egg, if it is showing clear, it is not ready for lockdown.
Below is the point of the same egg. just a tad of clear showing. Not ready. The point of the egg is almost dark...
55b.PNG

Day 16 your egg point should be dark. If not by day 18, your hatch may be a day late, or at least that egg will be. If you only have one incubator, when you candle on day 18 mark the eggs that may take longer. And never help an egg hatch with a clear tip of course.
5 of my eggs look like the egg above. Which is fine. I will candle again day 18.

Below is the pointed end of my 13th egg, the pita pinta, it is a large egg, so sometimes the big ones develop slower. day 16-17. I will expect it to hatch a day late if at all. It is currently still alive, all the action by the air cell though. Last thing this egg need is lockdown moisture.
55.PNG

This egg is still currently alive. Moving etc.

I did pre-lockdown preps for my 13 eggs. Today is day 16-17, day 18 tomorrow I will mark my eggs air cell slope, and move my eggs to the hatching incubator. I candled today so I could see who will be ready to go into the hatching incubator tomorrow, and who may take a day or so longer and stay in the first incubator, thank goodness I have 2 running. (One wet-hatching, one dry incubating.)

After the candle I have 7 that are ready to go now, I still will put them in tomorrow. All dark, nice slope and no clear spots showing other than air cell. View attachment 3340724
Really look at the line from the air cell to the dark. If no clear, showing, it is ready for lockdown. (Pic above is day 18.)
Pic below is day 16-17 almost there, but see the clear near the air cell, and no slope.
View attachment 3340726
Also candle pointed end of the egg, if it is showing clear, it is not ready for lockdown.
Below is the point of the same egg. just a tad of clear showing. Not ready. The point of the egg is almost dark...
View attachment 3340730
Day 16 your egg point should be dark. If not by day 18, your hatch may be a day late, or at least that egg will be. If you only have one incubator, when you candle on day 18 mark the eggs that may take longer. And never help an egg hatch with a clear tip of course.
5 of my eggs look like the egg above. Which is fine. I will candle again day 18.

Below is the pointed end of my 13th egg, the pita pinta, it is a large egg, so sometimes the big ones develop slower. day 16-17. I will expect it to hatch a day late if at all. It is currently still alive, all the action by the air cell though. Last thing this egg need is lockdown moisture.
View attachment 3340737
This egg is still currently alive. Moving etc.
I am a couple days behind you. I have 4 on day 15 and 1 on day 13..... but I only have 1 incubator. in the spring/summer all my hatches hatched on day 20 (even under my broody)... thinking maybe these will hatch later than that but we will see. I plan to start prepping for lockdown on Tue (removing the turning tray) then see how they look on day 18 and figure out if I am upping humidity or not.

Two quitters and one I’m not sure about… I thought we had a dud as well, but it might just be super slow? Need to check my dates on when I added that last one 😅
sounds like they are doing great still!!!!! What day are on you on? I know around day 7-10 I question a lot of mine on if they are quitters. sometimes I struggle to see veins or they just look like a blob that quit etc. I leave them just in case and check later and MOST times it turns out they were fine. Just seems that stage I struggle with them all. LOL

getting close to lock down here...... well kind of.... haahaa. I have 4 on day 15 and 1 day 13 (well guess technically they just started day 14 and 16?) I will take the turner out on Tue night and check Wed and decide if I am upping my humidity. every one of my hatches were on day 20 in the spring/Summer, I had some start late day 19 some finish early day 21 but basically day 20. This was in the incubator and under a broody. So I like to be prepared no matter what they do. I need to get a brooder set and figure out where I am putting it. Just need something small since these aren't my chicks so I will only have them till the last one is around24 hrs old. I just want to be sure they are fluffed and moving around well before I send them to their homes. So will have them maybe 3 days. Then the guy that had me hatch them has more eggs for me to put in. :)

sounds like they are doing great still!!!!! What day are on you on? I know around day 7-10 I question a lot of mine on if they are quitters. sometimes I struggle to see veins or they just look like a blob that quit etc. I leave them just in case and check later and MOST times it turns out they were fine. Just seems that stage I struggle with them all. LOL
I’m very pleased for first pullet eggs! They’re day 9 and the extra was 5-6 days I think. So I’d definitely expect a lot more development, but this had been totally clear about 2 days ago 🤷🏽‍♀️ So far we’ve never had an exploding egg, so I tend to err on the side of caution and just leave them

I’m very pleased for first pullet eggs! They’re day 9 and the extra was 5-6 days I think. So I’d definitely expect a lot more development, but this had been totally clear about 2 days ago 🤷🏽‍♀️ So far we’ve never had an exploding egg, so I tend to err on the side of caution and just leave them
I do the same. The only egg I have ever had explode was this time and it was on like day 2... So guessing had a crack and maybe already going bad? One time I wasn't sure if one had died or not so left it for 5-7 days to be sure and had no issues.

Back
Top Bottom