DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

Have 10 in the incubator now, had 12 but 2 weren't fertile. The hens are hatchery breeds, all the same roo, of unknown heritage. This will, hopefully, be the start of my barnyard breed via selective culling in future years.
Welcome to the hatch along! So glad you could join us!🥰

1 Marans has hatched.. I forgot the non slip liner again :he
Two more pips as you can see. The one that pipped the wrong end pipped at the same time as the one that hatched, hopefully it can work it's way out
20201203_165320.jpg

Hopes for all your flock, especially the bottom pipper. Have you considered assisted hatching? and if so, how long do you wait before offering aid?

I have held off assisting because in the past I have had a few chicks pip the wrong end and successfully zip/hatch on their own, but this one has been pipped for 18+ hours and really trying hard but made no progress. It seems it can't turn and keeps pecking the original pip spot.
the third chick has now hatched so I'm debating if and when I should assist it as it's the only remaining unhatched chick

I have held off assisting because in the past I have had a few chicks pip the wrong end and successfully zip/hatch on their own, but this one has been pipped for 18+ hours and really trying hard but made no progress. It seems it can't turn and keeps pecking the original pip spot.
the third chick has now hatched so I'm debating if and when I should assist it as it's the only remaining unhatched chick
Can you see it's beak? If it is clicking, then a good sign. I have waited up to 24 hours to step in. My first egg pipped 14 hours ago and it is nerve wracking waiting for them to progress.
I did have to assist several Marans though, seems their eggs are a bit thicker.

Back
Top Bottom