DECEMBER Hatch-A-Long!😊

Pics
Today is "Official" hatch day. I had 11 contenders to hatch and so far:

I had three who jumped the gun and started pipping two days ago - two from the small end of the egg :rant and one normal.

One of the small end pippers died overnight (despite having a clear breathing hole) :hit

The second small end pipper hatched himself overnight like a champ :jumpy

The third pipper didn't make any progress on his own and was yelling the incubator down this morning so I gave him some assistance and he's now out and makin his rounds amongst the eggs 🐤

There are two more pipping now and the day is early so "watching this space!" 🥚🥚 🧐
Sorry for the loss of the wrong end pipper. 🙁
Good luck with the rest of them! ☺

Sorry for the loss of the wrong end pipper. 🙁
Good luck with the rest of them! ☺
Thaaanks!
Yes these guys are possibly my most challenging ones to hatch for this season.
Sebright stocks here, esp for the rarer colours, are not as strong as they could be so if you combine the potential for poor fertility and weak genetics plus shipping stress plus I had a power outage during incubation that required emergency move to gene power - these guys have not exactly had the rolls royce start to life!
The positive is - I have a need/use for both hens AND roosters so every chick from this hatch has a future of some kind ;)

I guess I shouldn't have placed the first chick new born in with 3 week old Serama chicks. Poor think got pecked really bad on the head. Good thing the eyes were intact, so I cleaned up the wounds this morning and seperated the group. Lesson learned.
UPDATE: The chick passed away from it's injuries the following night. Sorry baby chick.

So I ended up with four SFH chicks, started with 6 eggs and 1 GLW x egg didn't hatch, guess it wasn't meant to be.
P1010005.JPG

P1010017.JPG

Last edited:
I just checked my broody with the three eggs and the blue egg is screaming let me out. I’m really hoping that the egg from the show girl will hatch. What will I get from a show girl and a EE rooster? I guess I’m going to find out soon I hope 🤞🏾
Well these guys are half silkie and half ameraucana (not EE) but may be close! Is the naked neck a dominant trait?
Looking forward to seeing your little guys!🥰
60F484C5-A409-499B-89F9-961725D78B13.jpeg
32CD78C4-7E8C-463F-8303-45BEC0F0CB67.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom