December Hatch-A-Long 2014

I did some candling since I had a batch of Serama due to go into lockdown yesterday. Unfortunately, that entire batch never even developed. I know at least one of the eggs was infertile. I cracked it open out of curiosity since it was damaged in shipping already and I didn't think nail polish would save it. Not sure if it was the shipping, bad packaging, or infertility on the rest.
idunno.gif

I run a perpetual staggered hatch so my stats so far are:

Seramas- hatch date 11/30, 6 looking good still! Originally 13 eggs. 2 never developed and I lost 5 a couple days ago to a temp spike which was very disappointing since they were looking good before that.
rant.gif
I moved the remaining eggs to my RX-2 and shut off my LG after that.

Seramas- hatch date 12/2, 5 still with nice veining and movement. Originally 10 eggs. 4 never developed, 1 early quitter.

Silkies- hatch date 12/11 (yes it's only day 6 but I was curious how they were doing so far and I don't have to move the eggs to use my candler so why not?), 8 have nice veining that I could see so far out of 18 eggs. Really hoping some more get with the program!
fl.gif

Party Mix (bantam and standard assortment)- hatch date 12/11, Only 3 had veining that I could see so far out of 9 eggs but I didn't want to move them so maybe in a few days there will be more :)

Seramas + 1 silkie- hatch date 12/13, I didn't really expect to see anything in these so soon but I lit up the end of a handful of random ones out of curiosity. No surprise I didn't see much
roll.png

I have a dozen serama eggs due to arrive today or tomorrow that I will be setting. And I just ordered some Bielefelder eggs to hatch hopefully in time for Christmas. And after that I will be setting more serama for the New Years hatch-a-long. I don't plan on setting any more eggs for a December hatch but I can't seem to quit putting more eggs in my bators so I guess we will see. DH just told me I should hatch us some meat birds
big_smile.png

Sorry your first batch didn't make it. Hopefully the others will have better results.

Hello All, I would love to join your 2014 December Hatch-A-long. This will be my first incubation of purchased eggs, so a little nervous about it. My eggs should be delivered Dec 3 - Dec. 5, so hopefully will have babies by the end of Dec. Best of luck to everyone!

Yes I do. Although I actually have 3 bators now because I kept overflowing the first one and was having to get creative for lockdowns
th.gif
So I have one main one for incubating, a backup bator for incubating, and one for lockdowns.

To keep track of which eggs are which I have a code written on the top of my eggs. A letter for the breed, like 'S' for serama. If I have more than one batch in the bator of a certain breed (like I do now) I put a symbol after the breed letter. And then I put the number of the egg last. So typically, I have eggs with a code like: S(heart)1. I have a notebook that I keep track of all the information. I also use it to keep notes like where I bought the eggs, sellers name, price, Set dates, hatch dates, and anything else that might be important. I always enter the hatch results too. And if I change anything about my incubation methods I make a note of it.
oh ok I like your system! I have a similar one for keeping up with mine. Usually an abbreviation of the breed/color on the top then egg number on both sides. and an O and X if I am hand turning. then I make notes along the sides after candling. like a small x for ones I need to keep an eye on or a C for suspected clears. or an A for a funky air cell. No one else knows what they mean but they sure help! lol

Hello All, I would love to join your 2014 December Hatch-A-long. This will be my first incubation of purchased eggs, so a little nervous about it. My eggs should be delivered Dec 3 - Dec. 5, so hopefully will have babies by the end of Dec. Best of luck to everyone!
Welcome to the group :) good luck on your hatch when they arrive! Keep us updated
smile.png

oh ok I like your system! I have a similar one for keeping up with mine. Usually an abbreviation of the breed/color on the top then egg number on both sides. and an O and X if I am hand turning. then I make notes along the sides after candling. like a small x for ones I need to keep an eye on or a C for suspected clears. or an A for a funky air cell. No one else knows what they mean but they sure help! lol
thumbsup.gif
I keep those notes as well but I put them in my notebook. And they're definitely helpful! Even after the hatch is over as a reference. I can only imagine what someone would think if they looked at my notebook pages. All the coding, color coding, short hand notes, abbreviations....
gig.gif

Welcome to the group :) good luck on your hatch when they arrive! Keep us updated
smile.png

thumbsup.gif
I keep those notes as well but I put them in my notebook. And they're definitely helpful! Even after the hatch is over as a reference. I can only imagine what someone would think if they looked at my notebook pages. All the coding, color coding, short hand notes, abbreviations....
gig.gif
I have a calendar that hangs in the kitchen. I have hatch dates, count downs, egg orders etc all color coded on it...occasionally some doctors appointments or something gets penciled in and they just look so out of place lol

I have a calendar that hangs in the kitchen. I have hatch dates, count downs, egg orders etc all color coded on it...occasionally some doctors appointments or something gets penciled in and they just look so out of place lol
lau.gif
I started the notebook because Dh got tired of trying to find his notes on the calendar among all my 'chicken scratch' LOL I might have accidentally written over an appointment or two...
hide.gif

After the loss of the 21 eggs that I had in the incubator I'm going to set 21 more on Friday. Day 21 will be Dec 19th which is my DD's birthday. I thought about doing the New Year hatch-a-long but thought it would be neat to have them hatch on her birthday. She is our animal guru and loves everything about having chickens and ducks.

Back
Top Bottom